PDA

View Full Version : Cannister flow stopped for 20 hours

krandrus
09-13-2004, 01:49 AM
Hey all,

My 77 gallon planted show tank (south american, but not Discus) has an eheim 2215 canister filter running on it. I have quick connect valves on it.

Yesterday I was doing tank maintenance and I did not turn one of the water flow tabs back on. Whoops! As a result the filter ran for almost a day with essentially an obstruction on it, and no new water coming through. It appears that I did not burn it out, but I am wondering two things.

The bacteria obviously spent a fair amount of time in oxygen depleted water, will this kill the cycle in my tank.?

Should the plants and the bacteria everywhere else in the tank be able to handle the load?

Any other similar experiences and outcomes?

By the way I picked up a Siam Gold yesterday that looks really sharp. I have been admiring it for several months but the price was too high. It is beautiful, but when I compare it to the discus it will be introduced to (my first that I picked up 3 months ago), it shows me what round is compared to the first fish I got which were partially stunted.

Kevin

Ardan
09-13-2004, 06:10 AM
Hi,
The bacteria most likely died.

Clean out that filter, monitor ammonia and nitrite. You will probably have to cycle the filter again.

hth

Anonapersona
09-13-2004, 09:15 AM
Clean the filter, but don't sterilize it, for the bacteria can come back rapidly.

Water changes to reduce current ammonia. Add Prime or something similar to the tank right away to handle the ammonia build up, keep testing but be awarer if your ammonia test is telling you free or total ammonia, which would include the ammonia that is locked up by treatments and not dangerous.

Also, check the flow rate, you may have damaged the impeller and it might not deliver full flow now. (Which remeinds me I need to order a replacement for my 2213 for I did the same thing recently but only for a couple of hours -- tip, if an Eheim doesn't go silent really quick, check to see what is wrong!!)

Finally, the plants will consume ammonia, but will not help with nitrite (but Prime will). Salt will help with nitrite but damages plants. And, the plants are only comsuming ammonia when the lights are on. So, wise to stop or greatly reduce feeding until the filter is better.

Carol_Roberts
09-13-2004, 04:26 PM
Hopefully you didn't let any of the canister water back into your tank. A sealed canister can get pretty nasty in that amount of time . . . :-\

Jason
09-13-2004, 07:56 PM
IMO just clean the filter right out and start over, don't take the chance!