PDA

View Full Version : How to feed discus in the plant tank?

smsc
09-13-2004, 06:56 PM
Hi all,

I really want to have a plant discus tank (with gravel); however, I don't know how to lean the tank when feed discus by lived worm or beef heart. I saw a lot of nice plant tank in this section and wonder how they can feed their discus. What kind of food do they feed them?

khai

Condor
09-14-2004, 09:25 AM
The way I see it, the more frozen foods are fed in a tank with gravel, the higher the bioload. The more dry foods are used such as pellets or flake food, the lower the bioload. The tricky thing is beef heart, because if it is not eaten, it really fouls up the water. In my opinion, it is best to have some bottom feeders like corys to help keep uneaten food to a minimum. If you are feeding frozen foods, try to vacuum any left overs after feeding time. The same goes for other foods to, but you don't have to worry as much about the dry stuff. Keeping things balanced is the key.

YellowClaw
09-16-2004, 03:50 PM
Yes, lots of corys and I also use a feeding net!

sn8k
09-17-2004, 10:34 PM
Yes, lots of corys and I also use a feeding net!

I've heard of using a feeding cone, but what exactly is a feeding net?
Curious minds want to know ;)
Mark K... :fish:

paletka
09-18-2004, 12:01 PM
HI,
You could keep cory cats, britle nose plecos in planted tank. I have
In my 125gl about 36 cory cats and Bristle nose they clean the B. and also keep tank free of alge.
I use life worm feeder ( plastic 1.69 ea from Dr Foster ), frozen worms, life worms, shrimps and very smal palets can be feed using worm feeder.
Fish will learn how to suck food from it.

Chris

Windy City Discus

YellowClaw
09-20-2004, 05:06 PM
Mark,

I will explain in writing now and will post a picture of it here later in case I don't do a good job explaining.

It's something I made from a Styrofoam cup with some netting, fishing lines and a suction cup.

Take a Styrofoam coffee cup and cut out the bottom section leaving you with a circular floating ring.

Cut a larger circle out of a net that your wife’s garlic, strawberries, onions, or fruits comes in.

Use the fishing line to tie the net to the Styrofoam ring.

Tie the ring to a suction cup and stick it to your tank.

As the more aggressive fish pick apart the frozen food from the net, some pieces of food will fall down. The smaller fish will eat most if not all of this before it contacts the ground. The corys will come out to take care of the rest if a few ends up on the ground.

sn8k
09-21-2004, 04:25 AM
Understand your explination perfectly Tin (nice job).
Sounds like a good solution :thumbsup:
Mark K... :fish:

YellowClaw
09-21-2004, 10:35 AM
Here are 2 pictures of the feeding net.

YellowClaw
09-21-2004, 10:38 AM
Catching falling food.

jules
09-22-2004, 09:04 PM
Tin - the feeding net is a good idea.:idea:

May I ask what your guys are eating in the first pic?

YellowClaw
09-22-2004, 10:46 PM
I try to mix a little of everything into their food so that they are not missing out on anything good, minus the tequila. Beef Heart, Fresh Tuna, Shrimps, Flack Food, Color Bits, Garlic, Lecithin, and Spirulina. I make a few batch with more of some and less of other and mix them in the same bag so that each time they are feed something different.