PDA

View Full Version : Feeding a bio filter

Lauren
09-13-2004, 08:45 PM
How much pure ammonia is needed to feed a bio filter thats established or how could I figure out how much is needed?

Thanks ;D

Lauren

Anonapersona
09-13-2004, 10:41 PM
I suppose trial and error is the best way.

Dose some small random amount like 1 or 2 ml in a gallon of tap water and see how much that is in ppm on your test kit.

Then dose the tank to maybe 1 ppm or 2 ppm and see if the filter can remove it all in 24 hours. Either it is too little or too much, you won't know until 24 hours is up.

I know fishkeepers that keep Q tanks cycled by adding a few drops of ammonia to a 10 gallon every day or so and they feel it keeps the tank in condition to accept fish, but they would do large water changes as well if they added fish to the Q tank. If this is the case for you, perhaps that is enough for your purposes also.

Howie_W
09-13-2004, 11:00 PM
Hi Lauren,

Check this out;

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=10;action=display;threadid=5807

Howie

Carol_Roberts
09-14-2004, 11:33 AM
About a capful in a 55 gallon every day or two ;D

Larry Grenier
09-14-2004, 12:27 PM
Ask a friend with an aquarium if you can hav the contents of their filter (media and dirty water) and dump it in your tank. You'll be infusing your system with nitrifying bacteria and their food source at once and don't have to mess with chemicals. I always start new tanks this way.

Lauren
09-14-2004, 03:53 PM
Thanks everyone! :D:D:D:D:D