PDA

View Full Version : Algae in my tank

nanik
09-15-2004, 09:28 PM
Hi,

I have 2 aquarium setup and both of them are kept near sunshine and now there are algae growing in it and looks like the discus are not happy with it even though I change the water 90% daily.

I've read in the biotope of Amazon and looks like in their environment there are no algae growing, does this mean that it is a NO-NO to have algae in the tanks ? any input please

P.S. Sorry if I post this in the wrong forum, I'm not sure if I post this in the right place ::)

Carol_Roberts
09-15-2004, 11:11 PM
It doesn't hurt the discus. I have lots of sun in my kitchen tank and don't get algae. You must have lots of nutrients in the tank?

Anonapersona
09-21-2004, 12:27 PM
Please test your tank water and fresh tap water for ammonia. Also, if you use aged tap water, test that for ammonia. Finally, if you use fresh tap water with a dechlorinator, test that treated water.

With such large and frequent water changes, it can't be from overfeeding or overcrowding. I suspect the water has chloramines and you are not treating it correctly.

In that case the algae is there to consume ammonia. Because ammonia is released when you treat fresh tap water containing chloramine with sodium thiosulphate, which releases the chlorine and treats it, but leaves the ammonia behind to harm the fish or to feed algae. In this case, the algae would get worse with more water changes, and if you remove the algae the fish will suffer. With smaller water changes the fish would actually do better if the algae can consume all the introduced ammonia fast enough.

If your water conditioner says "breaks the chloramine bond" then it does not remove the ammonia, it only releases it. Either add Amquell or something similar, or use Prime or something similar.

Webzilla
09-21-2004, 12:46 PM
nanik,

Having direct sunlight hit a glass tank of water will cause algae growth faster then normal no matter how you cut it unless you clean the heck out of it daily or at least every other day. Also, check your nitrates. Algae growth appears to be higher when the nitrates are high - greater then 50ppm. Just my expierence.

I'm out!

John.....

nanik
09-23-2004, 08:06 AM
Please test your tank water and fresh tap water for ammonia. Also, if you use aged tap water, test that for ammonia. Finally, if you use fresh tap water with a dechlorinator, test that treated water.

With such large and frequent water changes, it can't be from overfeeding or overcrowding. I suspect the water has chloramines and you are not treating it correctly.

In that case the algae is there to consume ammonia. Because ammonia is released when you treat fresh tap water containing chloramine with sodium thiosulphate, which releases the chlorine and treats it, but leaves the ammonia behind to harm the fish or to feed algae. In this case, the algae would get worse with more water changes, and if you remove the algae the fish will suffer. With smaller water changes the fish would actually do better if the algae can consume all the introduced ammonia fast enough.

If your water conditioner says "breaks the chloramine bond" then it does not remove the ammonia, it only releases it. Either add Amquell or something similar, or use Prime or something similar.

Hi Anona,

Thanks for your kind reply.

I don't have Ammonia test kit, but will get one soon as it is a bit expensive down here.

I don't use any kind of water conditioner or any kind of chemical, as I'm very much hesitant to use any kind of chemical to "break up" chemical :D, the aged water are airated vigorously, but again not sure if I still have chloramine or not in the aged water, are there any test kits to test for that or maybe chlorine test will do fine ?

Looks like the algae is growing because of the exposure of the aquarium to direct sunshine,because I put the aquarium on top of my house and the temperature over here during the day can reach upto 35 C. But it is not growing very fast. I've cleaned the algae last 2 days ago.

Cosmo
09-24-2004, 09:12 AM
Algea requires light and food, the more of each, the better it will grow. I've always thought direct sunlight was a no no, but Carol keeps hers in it w/ no problem. Carol also keeps her tanks scrupously (I know I didn't spell that one right) clean in every manner, so, no food for the algea.

Ammonia isn't the only thing algea likes to eat, it also gobbles up nitrates and phosphates (and probably others).. since nitrates are the ultimate end product of the nitrogen cycle you'll always have some, but, you try and keep it to a minimum..

Since you're doing monster water changes daily, my guess would be it's something coming in w/ the tap water that's keeping your algea fed... test kits would be good in pinpointing what it is..

Could be very wrong about this, but, doesn't chloramine survive aeration unlike chlorine? Seeems to me I read this long ago, but only have vague recollections so don't take this to the bank. Maybe someone who knows the correct answer can post it...

I've seen a chloramine test kit somewhere online but don't remember what website it was. If I find it again I'll IM ya with it.

Jim

Cosmo
09-24-2004, 11:27 AM
Nanik,

Just found the website I mentioned.. go to

http://www.jehmco.com/PRODUCTS_/WATER_TREATMENTS_ETC_/Water_Treatments/ultimatewater_treatments.html

End of the blurb above the product info states that aging and aeration does not remove chloramines the way it does chlorine.

Believe I've read this elsewhere, but happened upon this article so thought I'd pass it on.
Jim

Anonapersona
09-24-2004, 03:43 PM
Chloramine requires about a month of aging to be broken down. Then it releases ammonia.

It is vitally important that you know for certain if your water contains chloramine if you are not using any sort of water conditioner.

I have read posts in other forums where a persistant algae problem was attacked with algacides and the fish were then killed by the ammonia the algae was consuming. With very large water changes, I suspect you are bringing in ammonia with the water. Or it might be nitrates in the water. Usually you can call the water authority and request a copy of the latest tests on the water source, or at least ask them to tell you the measure of ammonia, chlorine, chloramine, nitrates, nitrites, salt, conductivity, hardness, and so on.

I think you need to be careful about this aversion to chemicals, IMO every aquarist ought to keep ammonia and chlorine controling chemicals on hand in case of emergencies. When I come home to find the power off and the filters not running, the first thing I do is to add a full dose of Prime (controls chlorine, chloramine, ammonia, nitrites, heavy metals) to the tank to control any ammonia and keep the fish comfortable. Then I'll go find out what is wrong with the power and worry about aeration in the tank and the temperature. I only wish that I'd thought about the fact that my water storage was not aged enough to be safe for use when I put a fish into it that was reacting badly to a tank treatment. A quick shot of Prime or simple dechlorinator might have saved it, but I killed it with chlorine I think.

aggie_67
10-02-2004, 01:06 PM
Wanted to try and steer the topic back to Nanik"s orginal question. Everyone is answering how to get rid of algea, but his question is does it hurt to have algea.

IMO algea by itself is not bad. It's a plant that will complete the nitrogen cycle. Even considered adding an altrium (sp?) using algea. Recently when I went to John Nicholson's to pick up fish was suprised to see his tanks with heavy algea build up.

It is also an indicator of water condition. Algea is not bad, but the fact it is there may indicate a water problem. No one mentioned overfeeding. My tanks are in direct sunlight, southern exposure. When I first started I got algea, but at one time I decided I was overfeeding and have cut back on portions (still feed 4X a day) and haven't any algea since (50% daily WC.)

Webzilla
10-05-2004, 12:06 PM
Well I can say this with 100% Confidence. Looking at algea isn't very appealing to ones eye. But one does not have to look very hard in all lakes, rivers and oceans to find some strain of it growing - Thus I would make the logical statement - "Algea is an important element in all aquaria life" and has a specific role to play in water chemestry.

I say this because I have many friends that have tanks of all sorts, all have some sort of algae growing in some shape or form. It doesn't appear to hurt the inhabitants in any way. Both salt and freshwater. It's just ugly :), thus we tend to think we need to rid our tanks of it. I don't think this is true. We just need to keep it under control, thus keeping Nitrates down.

again, IMO.

John.....