PDA

View Full Version : Media Change

Cosmo
09-17-2004, 11:09 PM
THINK I just got over the hump of a REALLY scary experience - had swapped an established Eheim 2217 out of my 180 for a new tank and put in a "new" unestablished one in it's place thinking the 2229 w/d would hold the bio load while the "new" one setup. both are rated at 150+ gals so thought I was safe. Didn't work that way and have had a few really scary days with really stressed out fish when I got hit with either an ammonia or nitrite spike 3 days after the swap. Did numerous 40 gal changes, then just finished a 70 gal WC just now and they're looking much better - a few even came to the front of the tank to say hi when the water finished filling... PHWEW!! Not out of the wood yet, but another big WC tomorrow and Sunday will hopefully bring everything back into balance.

Question is,

The media in the "new" cannister is old. I had almost thrown it away before talking myself into thinking it was ok to use (probably is), but, am now worried the old media may have contributed to the problem by not having enuf surface left for the bacteria to populate.

Bought new media to replace about half what is in the cannister, but am now having second thoughts about swapping it in cause that may cause another delay in setup, and, possibly more problems.

Would appreciate opinions.

Thanks,
Jim

Carol_Roberts
09-17-2004, 11:15 PM
Run both canisters on the tank at the same time. In two weeks the new media should be colonized.

Cosmo
09-18-2004, 12:23 AM
Hi Carol,

The w/d had been setup for about 6 months, both have been running together for about a week now... thinking I"ll wait another week or so before changing some of the media in the "new" one to play it safe.

Thanks,
Jim

kaceyo
09-18-2004, 11:48 AM
Hi Cos, WOW what a bummer dude! I'm surprised you had problems with a fully acclimated filter. I read where people pull one of two cycled sponge filters to succesfuly start a new tank all the time. I've wondered about it because your basicly leaving the old tank with a 50% loss of bacteria. Seems to me an ammo. spike would be expected. Get some AmQuel to detox the ammo. You can add it aprox. every 6 hours or so to keep up with the ammo. It doesn't remove the ammo, just detoxifies it so it's still available to the bio filter for cycling. And it REALLY REALLY works ;D If your getting nitrite you can use the AmQuel+ but can only add it once a day so use the reg. AmQuel between the once a day AQ+ doses. HTH and keep me posted on your fishy health. KC

Cosmo
09-18-2004, 02:00 PM
Hey KC, I was obviously caught of guard too, but, when you think about it it's not much different than doubling the number of fish in the tank all at once either. Both filters were probably stocked to handle half the load and pulling the one left me short of bacteria to breakdown all the gunk.

Shot some Amqeul as soon they began to look stressed, and bring the ph down should help keep the amonia problem at bay. Now fighting the nitrites. Did a reading this morning, after a 45% WC last night and it's still a 1.0, they're all eating, but not happy - hiding, breathing fast... :'(

Getting ready to do another WC and clean the tank down some more. Hoping this passes in the next day or two... not thinking I'll lose any fish just bummed to see them this way :(

Didn't know about the Amquel+ and nitrites.. off to the store

Will let you know how things progress..

Thanks KC,
Jim