PDA

View Full Version : They are getting MEAN!

kaceyo
09-18-2004, 10:21 PM
Lately I've noticed most of my discus have started getting much more serious in their aggresive tendencies. They seem to be really trying to hurt each other. Some of them are starting to show slight signs of damage, especiely on the pectoral fins(?). It's at its worst right after meals. The biggest are just getting to around 4" w/out the tail and there are 9 fish in a 50gl. Is this in preparation for pairing or a territorial thing or something else? Is there something I should be doing about it? Thanx, Kacey

Carol_Roberts
09-18-2004, 11:12 PM
Preparation for pairing. You may need to pull a couplel to make more "room"in the tank

Barb Newell
09-19-2004, 08:29 AM
Hi Kacey, do you have any clay pots or cones in the tank? It helps them to mark their territory.

Barb

Webzilla
09-19-2004, 09:06 AM
Often my Discus get a little aggressive when a female wants to spawn. This could be the reason. Hard to say. By nature though Chiclids are agressive fish - Discus are on the lower scale of that - but when they are fighting for pecking order and especially when a female wants to spawn these little guys can get mean.

JMO!

I'm out....

John.....

kaceyo
09-19-2004, 03:29 PM
Hey all, I would have responded to your responces sooner but I havn't been getting any notifications so I didn't think I HAD any replies yet. Actualy I havn't been getting "notified" for a while! It's been sooo lonley. :-[ Carol, When I got my fish they were 2.5" to 3". The smallest size Danny sells. So I'd guess they were aprox 5 to 6 months old. Does that sound right? I've had them 3 months and the largest are 4" w/out tail (easily 5" with) so, guessing again, their probably only 8 or 9 months old. Aren't they too young to start pairing? The most aggresive (and largest) are the RT's. I have noticed one in particuler, the smallest RT, seeming to study the risers on the filters, possible female? I have no clay pots or other spawning site stuff so maybe I should get some? I,d consider moving the 3 RT's Into their own 30 gal I have waiting for just this if I knew their was a pair forming between two of them, but I can't be sure of that yet. They do seem to be the most likely judging from their behavior but as a newbe I just don't know. This is very exciting for me just thinking about it. any advise? Thanx, Kacey

Carol_Roberts
09-19-2004, 04:20 PM
Nine months is probably too young. Go ahead and get two clay pots and put them in the tank. See if it changes their behavior. It will add hiding places if nothing else ;D