PDA

View Full Version : Questions for the expersts.

Fresh Fish
09-19-2004, 06:12 PM
I am talking with this supplier in vancouver canada and she sent me some pics of 2 kinds of discus i am interested in. I would like to know what the pros think of thses fish. here are a few pics for comments. they are 3.5 months old, about a silver dollar size. do they look healthy??

Fresh Fish
09-19-2004, 06:14 PM
another

Fresh Fish
09-19-2004, 06:14 PM
another

Fresh Fish
09-19-2004, 06:15 PM
and another. im not to sure about the tanxmar. but kinda like the snakeskin ones.

RyanH
09-19-2004, 08:09 PM
Hey Freshfish,

Welcome to Simply! The Snakeskins look a bit behind in their growth. The last couple look to be pigeon blood based and will have some peppering. They may not be that bad of fish for getting your feet wet and learning how to keep Discus with. How much is the seller intending to charge you for these fish? Are you going to pick them up or will they be shipped?

hth!
-Ryan

Fresh Fish
09-19-2004, 08:13 PM
She is asking 12$ can. for them. and they will be shipped via air. that a good price?? think they look healthy? the shipping is 35$ can. i am thinking of getting 3 of each for my 80 gal tank. sound good? . I posted on another forum, and they think there stunted and i shouldnt buy them. I duno, im not an expert so its kinda a tossup, if the ydie, well im not out 50-100$ a fish, lol only 12, so i duno. besides im not looking to have fish that win prizes, jus something nice in my tank.

Carol_Roberts
09-19-2004, 10:01 PM
They have large eyes and small bodies for their age.

jared
09-20-2004, 02:33 AM
While that does seem like a good price for that size of fish, you might be able to find as good of a deal by contacting some of the larger well known breeders on the boards. I was in the same place you are about a year and a half ago. I contacted one of the higher end breeders just to see what it would cost. After explaining my financial situations and skill level he set me up with 16 2 inchers of good to great quality for a little more than $150. And when I made my purchase the he was there for me by email or phone to help in any way he could knowing that if I had a good experience with him I would come back when I had the money and confidence to make a major purchase. You also have to think, what if you do things right? In six months to a year you will have a batch of large culls on your hands eating food, and taking up space, water and electricity. Or you could have a batch of potential breeders on your hands.JMO
Jared
P.S. If you read this Chad, thanks for everything

Howie_W
09-20-2004, 10:29 AM
I would like to know what the pros think of thses fish. here are a few pics for comments. they are 3.5 months old, about a silver dollar size. do they look healthy??

Hi Fresh Fish and welcome to Simply!

It can be difficult to judge quality of fish based upon pictures. If the fish are only silver dollar sized at 3.5 months old, they are likely stunted...the pictures seem to support this as the bodies should be a bit rounder, and the eyes not too big. This does not mean they aren't healthy, however their current size may be an indication of previous illness, improper diet or poor water conditions.

Given the amount of work that goes into raising these fish, you should start with the most healthy fish possible. There are plenty of breeders and hobbyists associated with this site that could provide you with better looking fish than those posted above without breaking the bank.

Howie

ronrca
09-20-2004, 07:15 PM
;)

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=13;action=display;threadid=20701

Fresh Fish
09-20-2004, 09:05 PM
ok, thanks, i passed on them. were not really what i was lookin for anyway. anyway. ronrca, your in wetaskawin. how much you want for those fish? i wonder if shipping would be the same as ffrom vancouver? I was alos supposed to ask for April? I was told she might have some for sale. thanks for all the help.

Fresh Fish
09-20-2004, 09:24 PM
sorry got this all mixed up, sorry ronrca, thought u were sellin the fry.

steve s
09-21-2004, 06:54 PM
you can find local breeder and save shipping cost and
put $$ into better fish.

Fresh Fish
09-21-2004, 08:53 PM
There is no local breeders where im at, lol, the closest would be about 7-8 hours away, so, cost of driving there, i think it would be cheaper to ship.