PDA

View Full Version : Some Q's about hardness

Wolf_Mek
09-20-2004, 09:11 AM
Out of curiousity and for the distant planning of breeding discus, I was wondering at what degree of hardness does the process of fertilization become handicaped. Does pH play a signifigant role in breeding discus?

I ask because my water isn't too hard (8* gH, 6*kH) but is quite alkaline, with all the rain this year the pH has gone up to 8.

Thanks all

Howie_W
09-21-2004, 03:10 PM
The higher the hardness, the lower the hatch rate. The best way to find out is to let a pair spawn and see what happens. Some have more success than others in harder water. I know some people that have had close to a 50% hatch rate with your hardness...the percentage increases as the number go down. Breeders usually have the highest success rate with lower pH values as well.

Howie

hexed
09-22-2004, 12:33 AM
Puma-
My tank is at 6.4 pH and the hardness is 4 drops to turn the tube green. My pair have had the following hatch rate:
4th try had about 20 free swimmers
5th try had about 35 free swimmers
6th try had about 40 free swimmers
This time the with about 300-350 eggs laid, only about 23 turned white all the rest are black and should hatch tomorrow (today). My ammonia and nitrite levels are zero and the temp is 84 degrees. I haven't tested for nitrate because I don't have the test for it yet, but it must be zero as well or just very little. I'm seperating the other 3 pairs in my 55 gallon because they too are laying and the pH is 6.4 and the GH is 3 drops everything else is the same. I don't know exactly if it's my water perimeters that causes this or just plain luck LOL, but I'm happy!
Frank