PDA

View Full Version : Blank Canvas for Discus Newbie.....

ikongoni
09-20-2004, 11:13 AM
I have recently got myself a new Juwel "Rio 300" aquarium.
The dimensions are 121x51x62 cms - 300 litres.

Originally I had planned to keep a colony of Tropheus from Lake Tanganyika, to compliment the other Tanganyikan aquarium that I have.

Truth is though I have so many options in my mind that I'm not sure which way to go....Different Tanganyikans, Malawians, Victorians....?!?!?
Perhaps its time to move away from my beloved African Cichlids and venture into a new area of fishkeeping - Discus!!

So if I do decide to go the Discus route I was thinking of a group of maybe 5/6 youngsters and a shoal of 20 Cardinal Tetra.
I prefer my tanks to be a little on the understocked side, so that would just about be all that I'd house.
Does that sound OK...? Or any other suggestions..?
Should the discus that I do get all be of the same variety?

What about a Pleco? Any mild-mannered ones that would blend into my plans..?

Thanks for any advice,
Ikongoni

Howie_W
09-20-2004, 11:31 AM
Hi ikongoni,

Welcome to Simply! Of course you should get some Discus...they are the Kings afterall! :)

In a 300 litre tank, you should plan on getting between 8 to 12 Discus...a minimum of no less than 6. Juveniles do best in groups.

For properly growing out fish, a bare bottom tank set-up with Diuscus only will work best, as you will be feeding a lot and changing out water daily. Cardinal tetras are great tankmates for Discus, but I would not subject them to the grow-out regimen that juvenile Discus require. Ancistrus (bristlenose plecos) are also good with Discus and great for keeping your glass clean, and picking up uneaten foods.

Regarding variety...that's entirely up to you. If your goal down the road is to breed, you might want to consider getting all one strain, or strains that are related such as all Pigeon Blood types, or all blue types etc.

Also, keep in mind that if you will be adding any other fish such as a pleco, it will need to be quarantined in a separate tank for 4 to 6 weeks before placing with your Discus.

Howie

Rob
09-20-2004, 11:32 AM
300 liters (80 gal), Nice.
Cardinals are good they will handle the heat better than neons.
I use pl*cos (hypostomus plecostomus) in alot of my tanks including my discus tanks to keep algae down. Watch out for aggressive species, they usually will have longer barbells around their mouth.
Filtration and water changes will determine you stocking level you can keep in your new tank.

Search Simply, there are many articles on compatible fish, filtration, and water changes to be found.

RyanH
09-20-2004, 04:11 PM
I also have had good luck with Bristlenose Plecos and Cardinals. They both will make great tankmates for your Discus.

I agree with Howies suggestions: it is important to implement a strick quarantine regiment... 8 weeks minimum and all separate equipment, in separate rooms or even buildings if possible. Also, like Howie said, I would keep the Discus alone and without substrate until you grow them to a size that you are happy with. This will make your life much easier while you are learning to care for them.

It's great having you here Ikongoni! Welcome to Simply!

hth!! :)

-Ryan

fish_maniac
09-20-2004, 11:17 PM
Hi ikongoni,
Welcome to simply!! I just coverted one of my African tank into a discus tank about 2 months ago. I have cichild for a long time but I am new to discus. Since the discus tank need much more work, I remove all the gravel to get a bare bottom tank. I also started with a mid size discus, around 4 inches. The mid size discus is easier to take care and don't required as much food and water change. Mid size discus also already has most of the color. I am doing a 25% water change daily with my tank. I still have bigger than with african cichild (Electric Blue, wild white calvus, peacock and kapampaBlue frontosa) and I am planning to convert that to a discus tank too. I am sure you can tell how much I love my discus tank :) :)
Hope this help.

Kam