PDA

View Full Version : Question about tape worms...

sjumper
09-28-2004, 03:01 PM
If my discus have normal dark brown/black mouse turds, does it mean there is likely no worms? Do any of you treat for worms even with no visual sign of them (i.e. worms coming out of them or enlarged stomach)?

Ardan
09-28-2004, 05:01 PM
I use prazi when my fish are first received and in quarantine. Otherwise you may not know they have a tapeworm until you notice they are not growing well.

hth

sjumper
09-28-2004, 05:28 PM
If the discus are eating like pigs but don't seem to grow, treat for worms?

ShinShin
09-28-2004, 05:39 PM
That is one symptom of tapeworms, huge appetites and slow growth. Assuming all else is well with your husbandry, you may have tapeworms. Feces will appear normal. You may see the white segments from a tapeworm on occasion. Did your fish come from a supplier who feeds alot of cbw's? I am very curious to know this. Just yes or no. I do not care to know who or where the fish came from. Its just for personal info only. Thanks. :)

sjumper
09-29-2004, 10:31 AM
Beefheart is the primary food. Frozen blood worms are also given on occasion. I know for certain cbw is not feed regularly. Have they ever been fed cbw, I don't know.

Around here, it isn't easy to buy them.

Back to the original topic, after beginning treatment with Discoworm, one of my discus pooped out a very long string (4" maybe) of dark poop. I didn't see any segments of white. Is this worm?

When I dewormed in the past, the output was always white long string with visible segments.

Carol_Roberts
09-29-2004, 11:08 AM
Probably poop. Next time do the squish test. worms are solid - pop disentergrates.