PDA

View Full Version : eggs were laid clear not red?

indydiscus
10-03-2004, 12:07 AM
A little while ago I saw a pair of melons laying clear eggs. I have many other pairs that lay red eggs. whats up with the egg coming out clear kind of white. not a dead white a clear white. ::)

ValorG
10-03-2004, 01:26 AM
its just not fertilized I guess

Carol_Roberts
10-04-2004, 01:01 AM
Egg color is dependant on many things including fish foods. Females can lay eggs that are clear, amber, or reddish. Eggs turn black if fertilized. Opaque white eggs are dead eggs.

ShinShin
10-04-2004, 02:17 PM
I have had fertile eggs ranging from clear to bright red/orange. Diet may play a role in this, but all my fish eat the same food. I thought perhaps genetics had a role in the coloration too, but I had two sister fish that one laid the normal "honey yellow" and the other bright red/orange.

FarWaters
10-05-2004, 11:56 AM
I have had egg colors all over the spectrum as well, but usually my females eggs remain a consistant color from lay to lay. I haven't noticed a difference in success rates by color either, so I really have no idea what it is all about.

nicholas76
10-06-2004, 07:25 AM
my scorpions eggs were bright yellow

and fertile too.

tried diffrent foods but they stayed the same colour.

as long as they arent bright white your in there with a chance

GulfCoastDiscus
10-06-2004, 08:12 AM
IMO eggs color does not determine fertility. Wait 24 to 36 hrs to see if they turn black. Black fertilized, white not fertilized. :)

Dan