PDA

View Full Version : Oxygen in the tank

Dzovi
10-03-2004, 12:50 PM
Quick question. Can you have too much oxygen in a tank? Kinda stupid but had to ask. I have two powerheads and a bio filter and a H.O.T. magnum filter all spewing out oxygen, plus I wanted to add plants. Just wondering if this could be a little overwhelming. Thaks for the help. Dominic

RyanH
10-03-2004, 03:48 PM
I don't think you would have a problem with too much O2.

Jean
10-03-2004, 06:02 PM
;D I wouldn't worry about the oxygen much; how big of a tank is this; all this creating a ton of current or not?

Jean ;D 8)

Carol_Roberts
10-04-2004, 12:48 AM
One area of the tank needs to be quiet.

Why do you have 2 powerheads and 2 filters running on this tank? How big is it?

Dzovi
10-04-2004, 08:58 PM
The tank itself is a 55 gallon. The reason why I have the two powerheads is to help keep the surface of the aquarium flowing as well as the oxygen level in the bottom and sides of my fish tank. The two powerheads aren't too powerful (they are for 30 gallon tanks) to I have two to cover both sides of the tank to ensure proper circulation.

Cosmo
10-04-2004, 11:31 PM
surface agitation is the key to gas exchange, getting the bad stuff out and letting the 02 in occurs through ripples, popping bubbles, filter returns etc. If all the filter returns and powerheads are underwater, you may not get the benefit you're thinking you're getting..

Don't think you can get too much 02 though ;D

Carol_Roberts
10-05-2004, 11:28 AM
The biofilter alone probably moves the water enough to supply oxygen. Mild surface agitation is all you need. You don't want the tank to look like it is boiling. I'd remove one powerhead and have one side of the tank quiet.

aggie_67
10-06-2004, 12:51 AM
Best way to get disolved oxygen is not surface agitation, but with aeration!!! Air bubbles from a diffuser or a powerhead with a air inductor putting out tons of bubbles.

Bubbles, not waves!!!

Steve_Warner
10-06-2004, 04:14 AM
Hi all,
Dominic, technically, yes, you could have too much Oxygen in a tank. The only way to do that, though, is to force Oxygen to diffuse into the water under pressure in excess of atmospheric with a pressurized system. All your pumps and stuff will do nothing to harm the fish in any way, but, as Carol stated, you should have some "quiet" areas for the fish to escape to when stressed. HTH

Steve

Rhinoboy38
10-11-2004, 11:00 PM
i have a planted tank and i have a nutrafin CO2 bubble counter setup in it. if you dont get enought O2 add the CO2 and plants get better too.