PDA

View Full Version : White Spot Disease in 100g Planted Tank

dan888
10-04-2004, 09:35 AM
My discus has been infected by white spot.
I'm planning to treat it with salt treatment with current temperature of 29C(without heater).
Will this be sufficient?
How much time will be needed for this treatment to take effect?
What sort of dosage is required?
Will this affect other fishes in the aquarium?
I have Clown Loaches, Guppies, Cories, Otto, Yamato Shrimps, Siamese Algae Eater, Neon Tetra and Zebra Danios.

Will the treatment affect the bacteria in the sump tank filter and the plant?

I know there's a lot of questions here that need to be answered, but i really appreciate if someone can help me out here.

Currently, this is my only tank and i do not have any additional tank for quarantine.

By the way, my discus seems to be healthy swimming and feeding even though there are tiny white spots on their fin. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance.

Barb Newell
10-04-2004, 12:15 PM
Hi Dan, are the white spots only on their fins or tails? Sometimes they get a few white dots on their tails, it seems to come and go with water quality.

Try a couple a large water changes.

Barb

Carol_Roberts
10-04-2004, 06:46 PM
Just use 1 or 2 tablespoons regular salt per 10 gallons at 29 degrees with 50% daily water changes (replace lost salt and use water of similiar temperature and pH) Should be gone in a week if bacteria plaques.

dan888
10-05-2004, 01:27 AM
The white spots are located only on fin and tail at the moment. I'm concern about the disease spreading to other parts of the body.

Carol_Roberts
10-05-2004, 11:31 AM
Do the white spots look like GRAINS OF SAND or bigger? ARe the fish scratching or flashing? If no scratching and spots look like thickened slime coat it is not going to spread to the body.

Covey
10-06-2004, 04:09 PM
Don't use salt in a planted tank it will burn your plants. You can use almost any other med for ick. No copper either.

mikeos
10-06-2004, 04:53 PM
salt & shrimps?

john480
10-06-2004, 04:55 PM
i have a discus with little white spots on his body and fins im treating it with melafix .is this proper med or should i be using something else?

Scott T.
10-08-2004, 04:06 PM
I also for some reason now have white spots on my tetra's and my discus. Some of the spots look a little patchy on the cardinal tetra's. I have a 125 gal planted tank at 82 degrees and am wondering if the salt procedure will have an affect on my plants. What are the options for white spot disease? How are the beneficial bacteria affected by white spot disease? I am open for suggestions if anyone cares to reply...

Thanks
Scott T.

john480
10-08-2004, 04:19 PM
im new to this but i dont think salt is good for plants.it might kill them

Wahter
10-10-2004, 02:03 AM
Not sure how the shrimp will react to medications, but if the fish have ick, turn up the heat to 86°F and use one of the formalin + malachite green medications (like "Quick Cure") - that won't affect the plants.