PDA

View Full Version : Quelling aggression? (Update)

jratuszn
10-05-2004, 06:02 PM
All day, I've seen alot of aggression between the kids. Nothing relentless, just some lip-wrestling and posturing. It's only the 2nd day they've been in the tank, I hope it's just everyone setting up territories/ social rank. At what point does it become a real problem, and what can I do to stop it (Or even better, prevent it from happening in the first place)?

Thanks!

-J

henryD
10-05-2004, 07:28 PM
Hi J,

Welcome. Give us a little more background to your setup.

What size tank? How many do you have? How big are the fish?

If it has only been the 2nd day I would not worry. They are all getting to know each other and establishing some territory. I would not worry until you start seeing some real physical damage.

It should die down in a little awhile. How long depends on how aggressive your fish is. Some are more aggressive than others. You will also see more of it during feeding time and mating time.

Henry

jratuszn
10-05-2004, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the reply, I've added my stats to my signature (should make things easier from now on) The turqs are ~3.5", the MPs ~2.5"

I expected that the turqs might harass the smaller MPs, but it seems like the bickering is only between like strains. (turqs on turqs, MPs on MPs) I'll keep an eye on them for a few days.

Thanks,

-J

chuckbam
10-06-2004, 05:45 PM
At that size, I call it play aggression :D

ShinShin
10-06-2004, 06:41 PM
Crowd the tank. More fish = less aggession. Change water appropiately, though.

jratuszn
10-07-2004, 05:14 PM
While crowding the tank, or better yet starting off with some nice big adults, would be ideal, financial considerations lead me to say that's not really an option. :P

It seems like things are starting to quiet down a bit. But I do see some body damage on the two bigger turqs, and the occasional clamped fin. Is there anything I should add to prevent infection? ie salt, etc?

I'm also thinking about adding some nice tall potted vals or swords to give some cover, and maybe break up the sight line. This seemed to stop the fights in my afrcan tank. what do you guys think?

Thanks for the input so far!

-J

Rhinoboy38
10-08-2004, 08:56 PM
well the fighting starts first ok......... then one fish comes out with a comercial saying the other ones a lier and then the other fights back calling him a flip flopper. then there picking partners and starting debats but that will come later....... sorry but sometimes people need humor

but about the subject look at schooling fish even they will bump fins and all that stuff. like said earler dont worry intill theres damage.

Cosmo
10-08-2004, 11:17 PM
If your tank is completely bare, adding something to give them some cover may help them settle down a little, especially since they've only been in the tank together for two days. I use plastic plants that I stick into suction cups on the bottom.. helps establish territory some too from what I've observed. Adding live plants at this point, unless you really know your stuff, adds addtional parameters to the water chemistry that may complicate your life instead of easing things