PDA

View Full Version : changing water kills?

neo9
10-08-2004, 07:30 AM
i've just changed the water in my tank filled with 4 discus, 1 pictus catfish and a clown loach.
now for some reason my clown loach is lying on the bottom breathing heavily..
i don't know wat is wrong with it. i had 2 clown loaches, one died of the exact same thing, several hours after i changed the water a month ago, it just died....wat is wrong ?
can someone please help my dying clown loach...

neo9
10-08-2004, 07:41 AM
WT*!?!
there is some sort of spike or tooth coming out from under my loaches eyes? i am confused ??? wat is happening to my loach?
is this suppose to happen or is it dying?

Carol_Roberts
10-08-2004, 09:31 AM
Are you using a product to neutralize chlorine/chloramine?

Is the pH of the change water the same as the tank?

Is your city using a chemical to flush the water lines?

FarWaters
10-08-2004, 09:33 AM
Without knowing anything else, it might be an internal worm burrowing out. Watch it and see if it appears to be moving or going into and out of the fish.

neo9
10-08-2004, 09:53 AM
melbourne has the best water in australia and could be used straight out of the taps. i have been told there is negligable chorline in the waters. the breeder who i bought the fish from lives just a 5 minute drive and he uses water straight from the taps mixed into the barrel to obtain the correct temperature.
the ph level is consistent about 6.5-7
it is not a worm i can confirm that, it was coming out under its eys, it was white like some sort of spike.
i also saw the same spike on my other clown loach that died straight after a water change a few months ago. i examined its corpse to find that it was like a tooth or bone.

the tooth/bone thing has gone bak under its eyes, and its breath rate has dropped. its just laying at the bottom of the tank now

jules
10-08-2004, 10:05 AM
Hi Neo, Clown loaches have spines located under their eyes.
The loach is in distress, do you have a test kit for your water? Loaches are sensitive to water quality.
Are the Discus handling the water changes ok?

neo9
10-08-2004, 10:13 AM
the discus and the pictus catfish is just fine
their swimming around as usual begging for food
its just the loach

Howie_W
10-08-2004, 10:20 AM
Hi neo,

As jules pointed out...loaches are very sensitive to water quality...this includes fluctations in it.

If I remember correctly, you have juvenile Discus in with your loaches correct? Loaches are fine with Discus in a planted community tank. However, I do not recommend placing them in a grow-out tank and subjecting them to large water changes.

Howie

neo9
10-08-2004, 10:26 AM
hmm i see
i did about a 50% water change before...
is my little clown loach going to make it?
:'(

fish_maniac
10-08-2004, 02:36 PM
Hi neo,
The white spike that is under each the eye is the defence tool of the Clown loaches. They will come out when you net them out as well so you have to be careful handling them.
Do you change the water daily? If not, the water in the tank could be very different than the water from the tap! Specially with 50% change. You may try to do more frenency on water change but with smaller % for now and see if it will help. If you are not sure, you can add some med to take the chorline out as well.

Kam

jules
10-08-2004, 04:40 PM
Sometimes when I hand feed the loaches I can feel their spines as they're grabbing the food. ;D

neo9
10-08-2004, 09:56 PM
thx for the info kam
if i do a 30% water change everyday my loach would be alrite?

i never knew u could hand feed loaches....thats amazing! u should teach me some day.

neo

simply_fishlover
10-14-2004, 03:42 AM
Hey neo9,

Clown loaches are nice looking mouse in a fish tank. They are tropical fish and when you do WC remember to change approximately high 1 or 2 degree from your normal tank temperature. Always add dechlorination and salts accordingly at the same time with the WC.

Clown loaches are good 30 to 35% WC but not everyday WC, you will stress them out. When your clown loaches die it shows the spike on the side of their face. It's common thing that they stress out and die that way. Spike on the side is a defense mechanism and stress cause them to use it. Lucky for you that your discus are okay!

neo9
10-14-2004, 09:52 AM
if i change about 30% a day my loaches are going to die? :(

ronrca
10-14-2004, 10:55 AM
Hard to say neo! Perhaps reconsider if you want loaches in your growout tank or preform daily wc's for your discus.

Id recommend getting test kits and monitoring the water parameters before and after wc's. Also test your tap water just before you add it to the tank. Ph is very important to monitor along with temp and chlorine.

Id also like to mention that when it comes to water parameters, dont take someone elses word. You have to find out for yourself what your water parameters are! Just a word of advice thru experience and learning the hard way! ;)