PDA

View Full Version : green mambas........

Rhinoboy38
10-09-2004, 10:16 AM
ok i was reading a story at wattleydiscus.com and it was talking about the new green mamba discus. green with green dots i think it said. does anyone have a picture of this or anything. id like to see it

jeep
10-09-2004, 01:41 PM
The photo's I saw of it were quite un-attractive. Poor guy looked sad :'(

Last I heard, the strain wasn't taking off and has been dropped. It's even been taken off Wattley's site...

Cosmo
10-09-2004, 01:54 PM
Tried to get some for a long time but they were never available.. then, I heard from a friend who went down and visited the hatchery that the adults looked pretty ragged even when they were healthy.. color wasn't what it was supposed to be.

Didn't know they dropped the line.. officially I mean.. lol

Now there's a new one?

Jim

ShinShin
10-09-2004, 03:21 PM
This is very strange, these posts that is, about JW's Green Mamba Discus. I bought five of them in 1996 (nothing really new about them). JW explained their coloration to me. So did Gabe. I got 2 different descriptions from them :o ;D. However, when they came, they were yet another color variation from either of their descriptions.

In the end, I received 1 male and 4 females out of the bunch. I kept the female the male paired off with after they matured. That male was the single most magnificant discus I have ever seen in person anywhere. They all were a solid metallic mint green color. The female was pretty, but the male was splendid. They looked nothing like the picture Wattley Discus posted on this forum or on their site (same pic).

Mat :)

Cosmo
10-09-2004, 10:37 PM
Mat,

Maybe it's the time frame ? I started trying to get one thru a JW distributor in 2002 and was told JW never shipped any ??? I'm green with eny ;D

Jim

Dkarc@Aol.com
10-09-2004, 11:34 PM
Last I heard, the green mamba pairs stopped spawning last year sometime. I think Gabe had like 3-4 pairs and they havent spawned in a while. spawned out i guess ???

-Ryan

PTDiscus
10-10-2004, 12:07 AM
I talked with Gabe about a month ago. I was purchasing a male red panda from him. I asked about the Green Mamba's and he told he had about 20 that were around 3" for sale at that time. As far as I know they still have them

Pat
PTDiscusİ

wildthing
10-10-2004, 09:54 AM
I had some of their original green mambas.
They were trying to produce a blue fish with spots by crossing blue diamonds with RSG.
It didn;t work...the fish were a darker blue almost green with darker smudges here & there almost like PB peppering .
I ended up with one good male who was quite productive at that time but generally they were a dissappointment as far as color went.

jeep
10-10-2004, 11:43 AM
They were trying to produce a blue fish with spots by crossing blue diamonds with RSG.

interesting concept...

ShinShin
10-11-2004, 06:43 PM
Hmmm, Jack told me they were attempting to produce a solid green discus with red spots. :)

heckelcrazy
10-11-2004, 07:43 PM
ummmm dont they have that fish already???its called a RED SPOTTED GREEN!?!??!!?!

aran

Cosmo
10-11-2004, 07:45 PM
and here I read where Jack saw them in Hong Kong, had to have them so he ran to a welders shop to get oxygen and then hand carried them on the plane ??? They wouldn't lie in a magazine would they ??

lol

Jim

ShinShin
10-13-2004, 06:03 PM
Aran:

A RSG is not a solid green discus with red spots. Imagine an Ocean Green discus covered in ruby red spots. Then, you'll know what he was tyring to do.

chuckbam
09-23-2005, 10:12 PM
Anyone have a photo of the Green Mamba ?

Barb Newell
09-24-2005, 12:57 AM
With green discus, a lot depends on your lighting. Blue is definitely blue and can't be changed (at least I can't change my blue diamonds to green diamonds), green is green but CAN be changed with fluorescent lights (that enhance the blue) to a very nice blue fish.

Maybe this was why there was so much disappointment with the green in the green mamba's. Their color depends on what sort of lighting each individual uses.

I have ocean greens, they are a soft green/blue, more green under natural light or daylight bulbs... but I can move them to another tank with an aquaglow and they are a vibrant blue. Move them back to daylight natural bulb,,,, very green. On one tank I have 2 ocean greens with 2 different bulbs, I show people the difference by lighting each one. Green... then blue.
I cannot do that with my blue diamonds.

Mat, if I recall correctly, weren't your green mambas a solid green like the ocean green?

Barb

Spices
09-24-2005, 11:36 PM
Ocean Green, Green Mamba and Blue Diamond...

This one has more green than blue. But has some yellow blotchies that seems to dissappear as discus grows. It will be interesting to see it at a larger size.

shaunn
09-28-2005, 08:47 PM
Yes. He is a Edited to comply with Board Policy

Edited by: RandalB - Reason: Content Violated Board Policy

chuckbam
09-28-2005, 09:44 PM
That place is a Edited to comply with board policy, yet you can't look away..............

It is a very informative thread Reply #249

http://discusasahobby.com/forum/index.php?topic=4693.new;topicseen

RandalB
09-29-2005, 07:55 AM
Hey guys,
Knock it off with the name calling. It's not only against Simplydiscus.com's site policies it's not contributing to the intent of this thread.

Discus As A Hobby has their own views on this sort of thing and we respect them for it. I personally believe that both boards have a lot to offer the discus community at large and I know that Al has the same viewpoint.

Rhinoboy asked a Question, let's answer it, discuss it and help him out. Any other posting is unnecessary and will be deleted. If repeated the violators will be dealt with as policy dictates.

Rhinoboy, I apologize for not catching this sooner. In the future, I will be as diligent as my hectic work schedule allows.

RandalB

shaunn
09-29-2005, 09:07 PM
My apologies, I started them name calling. We are all friends here.

shaunn
10-02-2005, 10:11 AM
Spices, didn't ever realize that was you!!

Bought a Wattley Green Mamba from Gabe. Here are is a pic. It is about 2 inches long.

ShinShin
10-04-2005, 08:01 PM
After this thread was started I decided to buy another bunch of the Mamba's from Gabe. I was as disappointed with the second bunch as I was happy with the first order. They didn't look like the same discus. When they first arrived I was satified with them, but by the ACA 2005 show, I saw what they were going to be like. Not pleased! Any green that was present upon arrival faded to blue. I killed 4 of the 5 I bought, keeping 1 (the largest) which looks like a typical Blue Diamond for a possible breeder.

cowboy steve
10-04-2005, 08:20 PM
After this thread was started I decided to buy another bunch of the Mamba's from Gabe. I was as disappointed with the second bunch as I was happy with the first order. They didn't look like the same discus. When they first arrived I was satified with them, but by the ACA 2005 show, I saw what they were going to be like. Not pleased! Any green that was present upon arrival faded to blue. I killed 4 of the 5 I bought, keeping 1 (the largest) which looks like a typical Blue Diamond for a possible breeder.
Does the one pictured above ( Chuck Mamba) look like the first batch of Mamba's you owned, the ones you liked?

Barb Newell
10-04-2005, 08:57 PM
Mat, if you net him out of the water, is he blue in the net, or green?
Sometimes the light in the tank is misleading.
Barb

ShinShin
10-04-2005, 10:28 PM
Steve,

If you were are refering to #255 on Discus as a Hobby, no they didn't look like that. They were solid green, however, not that bright. They had a metallic sheen over a light green body, no markings of any sort and no blue at all. Ray Kosaka had a similar discus on one of his brochures listed as a green diamond. The small discus shown above I would kill and send back because that is one butt ugly discus. No offense to the purchaser.

Barb,

Its blue. No green at all, in or out of the water.

Mat

cowboy steve
10-06-2005, 12:03 AM
No, actually I was referring to the fish posted by Shaunn above in #21.

The fish is named Chuck.

For obvious reasons.

shaunn
10-06-2005, 08:08 AM
Steve,

If you were are refering to #255 on Discus as a Hobby, no they didn't look like that. They were solid green, however, not that bright. They had a metallic sheen over a light green body, no markings of any sort and no blue at all. Ray Kosaka had a similar discus on one of his brochures listed as a green diamond. The small discus shown above I would kill and send back because that is one butt ugly discus. No offense to the purchaser.

Barb,

Its blue. No green at all, in or out of the water.

Mat

Mat-
No offense taken :)

Its not what I expected, but I did get it to see if it was different than a blue diamond, and it most certainly is.

When did you get your last batch of Green Mambas? I got mine last Saturday.

ShinShin
10-10-2005, 07:32 PM
I am not exactly sure. Sometime this past spring.

chuckbam
05-04-2010, 04:43 AM
Looks like Jack Wattley Discus no longer sells the Green Mamba. I think this strain was an enigma anyway.