PDA

View Full Version : New Arrivals - Altums

GulfCoastDiscus
10-12-2004, 03:28 PM
Hi All,
I just recieved these from Al (Brewmaster). My first Altums. I've always been an only discus person but I thought I'd give these guys a try.

Dan

GulfCoastDiscus
10-12-2004, 03:29 PM
Another :)

GulfCoastDiscus
10-12-2004, 03:32 PM
This is their new home. It's a 120 gal. They look lost in the tank. I only purchased 10 pieces now I widh I got more.

Dan

jules
10-12-2004, 03:41 PM
Nice group of Altums Dan.

Did that beautiful pair of Snakeskins get a new home?

RyanH
10-12-2004, 04:10 PM
We need to stay away from that Al guy. He's a bad, BAD influence! I have a little something coming in the mail from him tomorrow. ;D

He's worse than a heroin dealer. :P

Great looking Altums Dan! Fantastic looking tank!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

simply_fishlover
10-12-2004, 05:15 PM
Those altums look good. It will be better with discus in the same tank!

GulfCoastDiscus
10-12-2004, 05:46 PM
Thank you Jules, Ryan and DiscusKing.
I'll post a better pic once they're little but more settled with their surroundings.

Dan

crazy4discus
10-12-2004, 05:56 PM
the altums look very nice and your tank is also very nice i love the way your driftwood is placed with the plants growing on it with all the cardinal tetras swimming around 2 very nice... do you know if brew still have any altums left for sale?

mikeos
10-12-2004, 05:58 PM
He's worse than a heroin dealer. :P

And more addictive than crack, but at least it wont kill you or give you a nasty disease ;)

The missus, now she might kill you..... ;D

Nice Altums, must get some soon...just as soon as I get rid of this columnaris infection that seems determined to clean out my Discus >:( :(

GulfCoastDiscus
10-12-2004, 06:27 PM
Hi Crazy,
Yes, Al got lots. Give him a call.

Hi Mike, Thanks
What are you doing to fight the columnaris. I'm going through some form of crap. I seem to be chasing it from tank to tank. I'm trying a different approach. Let me know what you use to combat the disease.

Dan

jules
10-12-2004, 06:59 PM
The missus, now she might kill you..... ;D

lol...In my case its the mister.

Dan....still wondering about that beautiful pair of ss you had in this tank? ;)

Rhinoboy38
10-12-2004, 07:12 PM
The missus, now she might kill you.....

lol...In my case its the mister.

single male and no bills and a good full time job.........i have the freedom and the money to really enjoy this hobby. :P

brewmaster15
10-12-2004, 07:21 PM
;D ;D ;D

mike,

let me knowif I can help with the disease.

-al

GulfCoastDiscus
10-12-2004, 07:49 PM
Hi Jules,
I sold them this morning. I guy bought them for his show tank. They were'nt producing for me so they were better off retired. I was kinda sad to let them go. Unfortunately I need the tank space.

Al, Thank you very much. Sorry forgot to.

Dan

Cosmo
10-12-2004, 10:08 PM
At the risk of being ignorant... what's the difference between Altum Angels and the ones you buy at the LFS? Besides the fact the LFS ones are usually diseased etc... Been thinking of setting up an Angel tank
Jim

Tad
10-12-2004, 10:36 PM
Cosmo,
Altums are Wild verses most Angels from the LFS are domestics. Heres an additional link to a previous post by Al to announce the availability of Altums.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=22;action=display;threadid=20659

HTH,
Tad

OBTW: Dan your gonna love them Altums...they are Majestic

nacra99
10-12-2004, 11:40 PM
Actually, i've seen some P. Altums that advertised as P.Scalare in many LFS's.
Altums are derived from the wild forms and are usually have wider (and sometimes more) brown bars than the more common P. Scalare. Their Intermediate (in-between) bars are also more visable. Their forehead are usually more steeply slopped and usually appear "taller", which is where i believe the name Altum (derived from that latin work for Tall or high) comes from.

If anyone is interested, "P" in P.Altum stands for Pterophyllum (pronounced Ter-O-Phy-Lum) which is derived greek meaning "Winged Leaf" and Scalare is derived from the latin word meaning "Ladder" - refering to the dorsal fin looking like a flight of stairs.

Haha.. i've yabbled too much... just thought a little angelfish trivia would be fun

Cheers
Marc

mikeos
10-13-2004, 04:27 AM
Dan, & Al

dont want to hijack this thread, so wil post in the Disease & health section...an old post titled "sick fish"

any help greatfully recieved ;)

GulfCoastDiscus
10-13-2004, 08:28 AM
Actually, i've seen some P. Altums that advertised as P.Scalare in many LFS's.
Altums are derived from the wild forms and are usually have wider (and sometimes more) brown bars that the more common P. Scalare. Their Intermediate (in-between) bars are also more visable. Their forehead are usually more steeply slopped and usually appear "taller", which is where i believe the name Altum (derived from that latin work for Tall or high) comes from.

If anyone is interested, "P" in P.Altum stands for Pterophyllum (pronounced Ter-O-Phy-Lum) which is derived greek meaning "Winged Leaf" and Scalare is derived from the latin word meaning "Ladder" - refering to the dorsal fin looking like a flight of stairs.

Haha.. i've yabbled too much... just thought a little angelfish trivia would be fun

Cheers
Marc

Thanks Marc. I been searching for more info just to familiarized myself.

Dan

mikeos
10-13-2004, 08:45 AM
A lot of fish sold as P altum are peruvian altum a variety of P scalare, and not true altums. They are very similar in forehead shape, so make sure you are getting the geniune article. Most LFS wouldnt know the diference.

Just realised this could be seen as a comment on the fish shown here or sold by Al, not so, just a word of caution to those looking to buy localy.

GulfCoastDiscus
10-13-2004, 08:58 AM
Hi Mike,
Can you (or anybody) provide pics to illustrate the difference? Much thanks. :)

Dan

JeffreyRichard
10-13-2004, 11:58 AM
Hi Mike,
Can you (or anybody) provide pics to illustrate the difference? Much thanks. :)

Dan

Check out the Angelfish Forum ... they have several sections devoted to wild angelfish ... http://www.angelfish.net/yabbse/index.php

Michelle Ricketts has a web site which see dedicates much of to wild angels ... this link has good pictures ... http://finarama.com/tba/identification.htm

GulfCoastDiscus
10-13-2004, 12:08 PM
Thank you Jefferey.

Dan

Discus Plus
10-13-2004, 02:21 PM
Congrats on the new fish Dan, they look great.

Derrick

GulfCoastDiscus
10-13-2004, 03:23 PM
Thank you Derrick. I wish I got more. They look a bit lost in the 120gal. :)

Dan

Discus Plus
10-13-2004, 06:10 PM
I agree! Call Al again and fill that tank up. LOL

Derrick

GulfCoastDiscus
10-13-2004, 07:04 PM
;D ;D