PDA

View Full Version : Sick pidgeon blood :-(

gillym
10-13-2004, 06:08 PM
Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

Pigeon blood/Super red juvi 3.0-3.5 inches, 1 sick discus of 4 juvis in a 40 gallon tank , bare bottom with two potted swords and 5 pencilfish (present for 2 months as dither fish) Other 3 discus are doing fine and eating

Tank has been treated in the past several times for gill flukes with Formalin

Tank has sponge filter and aquaclear 150 on it

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

turning pale to almost whitish in color, ver timid ... alone at the top of the tank, not eating..no obvious external wounds...

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

tried formalin twice thinking it was flukes 1 cc per 10 ml.... no change after 24 hours... have used sea salt 2 tbl per 10 gallons, turned the temp up to 88

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish
see above for some of this... tank is 4 months old

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?
change 50% every other day..bare bottom, water is not aged but is treated with Prime and matched for temp ... that regimen has been done for 3 months

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp _____82

- ph ____6.8 to 7.0_

- ammonia reading ____dont know , have done 50% WC every day for the past 4 days, so I assume it is low

- nitrite reading __dont know , have done 50% WC every day for the past 4 days, so I assume it is low

- nitrate reading __less than 5 ppm_

- well water __n__

- municipal water ____y

7. Any new fish/plants added recently

not since the pencil fish added months ago

thanks and please let me know if any new info is needed. THis is my first sick one and I need to order some meds, not sure what to do.. not sure if this is intestinal (no abnormal feces) or what is going on

Barb Newell
10-13-2004, 06:33 PM
Hi. First, do a couple more water changes. Make sure that the tank is very clean, wipe the sides down. Slowly.... lower the temp a bit, down to 84. Possibly, the formalin has killed off some of your good bacteria, and there is ammonia or nitrites. Can you get an ammonia and nitrite test kit? How is his breathing?

Formalin and high temps don't go good together. Also, your fish could be blocked/ bloated. Add epsom salts 2 tbsp/ 10 gallons right away. Increase aeration, put an extra airstone in there. Also, keep the aquarium salt in there 2 tbsp/ 10 gals.

See how he is after more water changes, and a few hours in epsom salts.

Barb

gillym
10-13-2004, 07:08 PM
Thanks Barb

I should clarify... When the tank was tx wit hformalin, the temp was 82... after it became apparent the formaline want helping, the water changes began, the tank temp was raised and the talk added

should I add the epsom salt in addition to the sea salt, and in what concentration?

thanks again
Gilly

Barb Newell
10-13-2004, 07:54 PM
When the tank was tx wit hformalin, the temp was 82
Hi, that's good about the temp and formalin :)

Yes, add the epsom 2 tbsp/ 10 gals and the aquarium salt 2 tbsp/ 10 gals after a large water change.

Barb