PDA

View Full Version : Clouded Eye, then Death

Discus_Josh
10-16-2004, 04:01 PM
I'm hoping someone here knows what is up with my fish. I've lost 3 in 7 days, and it looks like another one is now sick. Last week my 2 violet reflections spawned in my community tank (so I asssume things were fine then). The day after that one discus died. Two days after that another, and then yesterday another. They appear fine, although the sick ones go dark before one eye clouds up and then they swim in circles and die one day later.

can anyone help

Josh

Barb Newell
10-16-2004, 04:04 PM
Hi Josh, can you give us some more info? Tank size, how many fish, water change regime, bare bottom? gravel? planted? have you added any new fish/plants?

Check ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. I'd do some large water changes and add salt to begin.

Barb

Discus_Josh
10-16-2004, 10:53 PM
Nothing new in the tank. 120gal, doing 80gal w/c 1x a week, bare bottom. Increased w/c, 80gal every day since this sickness has set on. Have one fish that is currently sick, others look ok, then again yesterday, this fish looked fine.

Josh

Jeff
10-16-2004, 11:52 PM
Josh,

Call me and I'll get you some stuff to fix it.

Jeff

Discus_Josh
10-17-2004, 01:45 PM
Hope these pics work :)

Discus_Josh
10-17-2004, 01:45 PM
Another

Discus_Josh
10-17-2004, 01:47 PM
Last one...

Thing is, yesterday he didn't have that gash in his head...Looks to me like he is having a brain spasm and swims erraticly running into things (like the top of the tank). Bout ready to stick him in the freezer.

Josh

Barb Newell
10-17-2004, 03:41 PM
In the first pic, A. Are those white zits on his body? or are they just spots on the glass? I'd add salt 1 tbsp/ gallon after doing a large water change.

Have you checked ammonia/ nitrites/ nitrates today? I know someone else who has a fish that is flipping out, smashing into everything. He finally checked his nitrites, they are very very high.

Barb

Anonapersona
10-17-2004, 06:49 PM
Water conditioners? Are you using the right one, or aging water? Aging water will not remove chloramines at all.

Discus_Josh
10-18-2004, 08:19 PM
haven't checked the nitrites/nitrates in quite awhile, actually. Guess I should check into that 1st. I've been using prime in my sumps to get rid of the chlorine/chloramine(sp?).

Josh

got some metro from Jeff, added a bunch of salt and increased the temp of the tank, will let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks for the help

Jeff
10-19-2004, 11:31 AM
Metro? Maroxy ;)

Discus_Josh
10-19-2004, 08:58 PM
oops, my bad :)

Looks like I have a new sick guy (SS). Will post a pic ASAP. Looks fine, but hanging out near the top of the tank, totally seperated from the rest of the school.

Josh