PDA

View Full Version : growth rates

ozarowana
10-17-2004, 10:15 PM
Hi just wondering about growth rates at various ages.

Generally speaking (assuming full size is 6in SL) what size should a well looked after fish be at 1, 3, 6, 12, 24, 36 months etc.

Also do they have growth spurts and does early breeding affect growth rates or final size?

RyanH
10-17-2004, 11:01 PM
Hey Ozarowana,

I can answer parts of your question. First of all, at > a month a Discus will still be in its fry stage and under an inch in length. With frequent feedings and diligent water changes, your fish should reach 2 1/2 inches within the first three or four months after going freeswimming. Discus growth tends to slow considerably after a year or so, but there is no reason why you shouldn't have 5-6 inch fish at one year old if properly cared for. For the most part, Discus will reach their full growth potential by 1 1/2 years old. Although It's my understanding that many wilds can take longer. Somebody can correct me on this.

And yes, a fish that is allowed to pair off before it is full grown can, and often will, stop growing at that point. My personal hunch is that this is due to the fishes body diverting resources away from growth and to reproduction. Also, it has been my experience that fish that are spawning and tending to eggs eat quite a bit less. This will also contribute to a slowing or in growth.

hth!
-Ryan

RyanH
10-18-2004, 05:15 PM
I had a couple of IM's concerning the conversion rate from english to metric. Here is the approximate conversion from english to metric length:

1 inch = 2.54 cm
1 foot = 30 cm
I yard = 1.1 meters

HTH!
-Ryan

ozarowana
10-18-2004, 08:14 PM
Thanks Ryan

If a pair starts to form in a grow out and I don't want to breed them yet as I want them to keep growing should I separate them?

Can anyone else add to this? As I think this would be very valuable to beginners growing out fish. A general comparison between their fish to a "normal" heathy fish and then adjust feeding and water changes accordingly.

oodi
10-18-2004, 08:25 PM
Hi oz,

I wouldn't worry about separating them. Let them practice at being good parents.

Judi
:)

Multiclone
10-18-2004, 08:48 PM
I have a pair of BD which started breeding at 12 months. They are now about 17 months old and have continued to grow and are now quite large. However I have given them rests between spawns.
I now have a pair of Rose Reds which have spawned at 7 months :o of age and are perfect parents the fry are now a month old. I will keep an eye on their growth rates as they are just 4" now.

Geoff

aggie_67
10-18-2004, 11:49 PM
How do you give them "rests"beween spawns?

bio new
10-19-2004, 09:45 PM
I now have a pair of Rose Reds which have spawned at 7 months :o of age and are perfect parents the fry are now a month old. I will keep an eye on their growth rates as they are just 4" now.

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Cud u pls let me know how did u induce them to spawn at that early age? Can spawning at that age apply to other type of strains?

Thx in advance.