PDA

View Full Version : U/V sterelizer

dean
10-18-2004, 03:54 PM
Does anyone know who has the best price on a U/V sterilizer? I have an ongoing water issue

Webzilla
10-18-2004, 04:54 PM
I've seen some Turbo Twists priced good on ebay. May advise -Make sure you get the right wattage for your tank, and make sure the water flow is no faster then what is recommend for the sterolizer.

Webz....

Cosmo
10-18-2004, 07:31 PM
the turbo twists are on sale now.. think at bigalsonline.com, usually foster/smith and petsolution have the 3X for about 75.

You might check w/ RandalB as well.

hth

john480
10-18-2004, 08:17 PM
i idea about Gamma UV Sterilizer .are they any good?is this a must for discus care takers?

dean
10-19-2004, 03:59 PM
Many thanks eveyone for the replies.

Dean

FischAutoTechGarten
10-19-2004, 05:28 PM
Dean,
What kind of water problems?

Here a member has posted about the appropriate use of UVSterilizers.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=21605

I bet if you watch the thread, you'll see if one will fix your woes.

I had (still have, just not in use) a U/V Sterilizer in use with my 20gal Wet/Dry Filter (still have, just not in use). It was fabulous for eliminating ALL algae whatsoever. Could not believe how crystal clear the water was. If I had a central system for my 29gal breeders (I won't because I want to get rid of these for DIY acrylics), I'd definitely put it back in service.

FischAutoTechGarten
10-19-2004, 05:35 PM
should also mention. i kept my U/V on a timer. I turned it on an hour before the hood lights came on and an hour after they went off. Figured Algae wouldn't grow/bloom in the dark. Don't know if it was advisable. Saved money nonetheless.

dean
10-19-2004, 06:46 PM
Its the dreaded "green water". I've been clearing it with a DIY powerhead w/ HD filter stuck in the end. But I need a permenant solution without all that heavy current.

Dean

Cosmo
10-20-2004, 07:29 PM
Dean,

UV is a great solution for the dreaded green water ;D The turbo twists are easy hookup and do a great job. You need the feed water to be clean, so best to hook it up on the return line after a filter.

I prefer to go a higher wattage than what is advertised, but then, I'm a firm believer in overkill on filtration :)

Match the flow rate of the pump to the sterilizer's rating (or visa versa), and consider the number of times the tank volume is pumped thru the unit to make sure your unit is effective for your environment.

If the flow is too fast, or the turn over too low you won't get optimal results.

Jim

dean
10-25-2004, 11:34 AM
Cosmo,
Im using an Emporer 400 and wondering how I can use the turbo twist w/ it?