PDA

View Full Version : Diatom Filter

bikhu
10-20-2004, 07:57 PM
HI Everyone,
I have been thinking of picking up a diatom filter to use part time on my individual tanks for water polishing. What do you think? Benefits? Problems? Brands? Best (cheapest) place to buy in the USA?
My largest tank (right now) is a 60 gal and my smallest is a 29.
Thanks for any experience you can share.
peter

Cosmo
10-20-2004, 09:33 PM
Bikhu,

Used to use a Diatom.. many years ago. They do a great job at polishing the water, no, make that an incredible job at it :) Don't know about the new models (but they look pretty much the same) but it was a pain in the butt to setup, use, and clean. They claim they're easier now... would hope so lol If you get one, pick up some of their powdered carbon as well... worth the cost and lasts forever.. price? check bigalsonline.com, think they're the lowest I've seen and have a good selection.

hth
Jim

lauris
10-20-2004, 11:00 PM
I had the diatom filter and found it to be so godawful to use that it was laughable. I cannot convey how difficult it was to set up. I never did get it working and couldn't sell if fast enough at the auction for the local club. It was sold at about three successive auctions so I wasn't the only one to find it hard to use. I accept that I just couldn't work it, but it was just not user-friendly at all. I then bought a magnum polisher, I don't remember the model, but it hangs on the outside of the tank. I found it easy to set up and it seemed to do a good job. No powder, just a micron filter. I used it for awhile but not lately. I would give it a thumbs up if you really think you need to polish the water. A Magnum 400 now that I think about it. Bought it from Dr. Foster and Smith. Like their return policy (that is, they have one--bigalsonline doesn't).

Cosmo
10-20-2004, 11:52 PM
Lauris.. was wondering how BigAl's could be so much cheaper.. lol

Actually, Drs Foster/Smith is GREAT when it comes to returns, and, customer service in general.. don't think they carry the Diatom's anymore though..

Glad I'm not the only one who found the the Vortex to be a pain! ;D

Another way to get a good polish... I know this is heresay, but.. is to throw some Chemi Pure in your filter for a few days :)

Jim

Cosmo
10-20-2004, 11:56 PM
not to beat this to death, but.. if you're intent on a diatom.. Whisper makes a hang on the tank one that is pretty straight forward and easy to use.. never used one, but the owner of an LFS I used to go to did and said he liked it..

Jim

henryD
10-21-2004, 08:07 AM
Peter,

I am curious as to why you think you need one? I might have an old one or 2 around somewhere... I nevered used it.

Henry

April
10-21-2004, 12:06 PM
the hot magnum has the polisher filter. its dead easy to use. i like it..but i also dont use it often . got it hoping itd make a diff down at the ole co-op where my water seemed crappy.

Tad
10-21-2004, 12:34 PM
I have never used a diatom but I polish my water using the HOT magnum and I really like their performance..currently using two HOTS on a 135 that is "Very" overstocked and running them 24/7, also using one unit on my 125 Wilds Tank.
I use only the pleated micron filter for polishing :)

Big Als price and link: http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=22139;category_id=1721

Pet Solutions price and link: http://petsolutions.com/product.asp?pn=47490134

Fosters and Smith's price and link: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3597&Ntt=hot%20magnum&Ntk= All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2004

Looks like Big Als in my minor search produced the best price ;D

HTH,
Tad

bikhu
10-21-2004, 03:07 PM
Henry,
The reason that I am thinking about one is that it seems that although i do 50% or more wc daily there is often the appearance of "dust" in the tank. I clean the filters out regularly, I clean the sponge filters regularly and I am careful about overfeeding. No one else that looks at the tanks seems to notice, I am probably suffering from OCD but I would rather think about diatom than meds! ;)
If you have one that you are not using .. are you interested in selling it?

Has anyone used the Vortex Freedom or the Aquarium Products System 1 Filter?

I have looked at the HOT Magnum but I was thinking more about a system like that Vortex that is used just for the cleaning period and then can be used on a different tank.

THanks for the input everyone... keep it coming please....

henryD
10-21-2004, 04:07 PM
Peter,

Are you taking water chemistry lessons from tad and judi???

I will look for it this weekend. If it is still around. You can have if for free. I got them when I bought some other people used equipment. I came with the tanks and such. I did try to assemble and use one in the past. It was not complicated but seem cumbersome. I think the model I have is an older vortex. I will let you know later this weekend via IM if I have any luck tracking them down.

Henry

April
10-21-2004, 04:28 PM
well..i do have to admit..tad and judis tanks are about as crystal clear as they can get.

bikhu
10-21-2004, 08:11 PM
I should only dream of having tanks as clean as Tad and Judi!!!! How did they train those fish to swim without water?????

bikhu
10-21-2004, 08:13 PM
By the way Henry.... Just how much stuff do you have in that magic storage room anyway? :o I think I would like to take a peak in there sometime..... ;)
No end to what be found in there....

fish_maniac
10-21-2004, 10:29 PM
Yes, the old diatom filter is very good but not easy to use.It is not to close it and you can run it too long. I have the new Whisper Diatomagic Filter and it is better than the old type. You still have to prime it but it is easy. You just have to swing the output back into the box to prime it. The box is designed to be inside the tank and you can run it continuously as long as it dioesn't stop. I use the new filter for the cichild tank and when my old arowana tank.

Kam

oodi
10-21-2004, 10:39 PM
Ok, then...

Will one or all of you tell Tad that the tanks are clean enough!!! ;)

Don't worry, Peter... it's Tad that has the OCD! ;D

Judi
:)

samcatj
10-23-2004, 07:34 PM
Bikhu

I have a Diatom XL filter that I am going to sell along with some other misc. supplies. I have diatomite powder and super char. powder also that goes with it. The filter is about 1.5 yrs. old and I have only used it 3 or 4 times (seriously). The filter works great and it is incrediable how crystal clear the water is after you have used it.

If you are interested let me know.

Thanks,

Samcatj

korbi_doc
10-24-2004, 09:19 AM
:bounce2: :bounce2: Peter, I have had the Vortex Diatom filter for yrs. Always keep one on hand for emergency cleaning, just in case, don't have to use it often, but when I do, it's worth it. Had one emergency problem with babies in a tank after being away, using an auto feeder; it was terrific for cleanup. Now I'm better at setting the feeders up, lol. I've found that the Magnum HOT filter will work as well, using the micron filter in it, love it. Anytime I need extra filtering, or just want to polish the water, just put it on. These are not necessarily for routine use, altho they do work that way too!! JMO, Dottie ;D I'd bet Tad uses it often, his fish "fly".