PDA

View Full Version : 55 gallon tank ok?

freebird
10-22-2004, 07:27 PM
Hello people of Simply,

I've been lurking for quite sometime now, and feel I'm ready to start my discus experience.
I'm looking at purchasing a 55 gallon tank, dimensions 48x18x18, and was wondering if that would be an ok starting point. Also, how many juvies would I be able to start with in this tank?
Another question is who all sells/ships discus in Canada?

Thank you for your time,
Sean

ed8t
10-22-2004, 08:08 PM
Hi Freebird,

Welcome to Simply...I am where you are right now as well. I have a 65 gallon tank waiting for my first arrivals sometime within the next couple of weeks from Jason @ Superior Discus in Ontario. His site is on the bottom of the Simply site.

55 gallons is a good starting size, I'm following Carol's recipe for my set-up, that will answer quite a few of your questions:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=21;action=display;threadid=9911

If I were you, I would IM Northwestcoastdiscus, Duncan's hatchery is up in Nanaimo. He imports and breeds so it would be a very good experience to see what he has in stock in person. If he has what you're looking for you can save a little money in shipping.

Barb Newell in Ontario may have some nice fry available too:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=12;action=display;threadid=14866

Good luck!

Howie_W
10-23-2004, 09:04 AM
Hi Sean and welcome to Simply! :wave:

The first link posted by ed8t should answer your set-up questions. If you haven't already purchased your tank yet, you might consider a slightly bigger one (i.e. 75 gallons) as this will allow you to buy a few extra fish, or with a smaller number give you more time before have to move some of them to a larger tank as they grow.

As for getting fish in Canada, I highly recommend getting in touch with Barb Newell. Barb is one of the moderators here on Simply and I'm sure she will be happy to provide you with some suggestions...not to mention she has some beautiful fish. :)

Howie

KD
10-23-2004, 05:16 PM
I started with a 90 and it wasn't enough- LOL!
Once, hooked it's hook line an sinker!
Go for the biggest tank you can afford.
Thaks to my Hubby he talked me into the 90. Now I'm adding more tanks- GEEZ!
Karen

KD
10-23-2004, 05:18 PM
OH forgot to mention- You have to Check out some of Barbs fish on this board - they are amazing! All her fish are beautiful! I don't have any since I'm in the good old USA.