PDA

View Full Version : My hiatus complete

SSrowr
10-22-2004, 08:52 PM
I was fairly active here before the summer and had planned on getting my discus when the summer was finished because I worked at a summer camp 24/6. Now, things are slowing down (and I already have my tanks) so I'm gonna get it rolling again I hope.
My tank is a 75 g. I also have a 30 g. I have always had my heart set on planted, but realize it is not the way to go for a beginner w/ a fully stocked tank (7-8 fish). However, I am considering the option of planted with fewer fish, possibly 3-4. As for the idea of buying a group of 5-6, if it is that important, possibly i can set up the 30 g with 2 of them as they grow as a secondary, but I'm thinking the 3-4 fish will be sufficient.
I was thinking Amazon Sword, some type of ground cover (java moss type) and a sand of other fine substrate, having the idea that vacuuming/cleaning will be made slightly easier.
I was wondering how this sounded to all you vets, and wondering if you could make any senses. Keep in mind I'm young and don't have any great monetary fund.

Thanks for your continual help guys,
Seth

RyanH
10-23-2004, 12:08 AM
Hey Seth,

Welcome Back!

I would give some serious consideration to buying the larger group at once, keeping them together from day one, and growing them out in a barebottom tank. There are multiple reasons for this:

1. Discus do better in groups

2. Barebottom tanks limit variables that cause problems for young Discus and the new keeper trying to take care of them.

3. By buying all of your Discus at once, you give each of them a chance to be a part of the group from the beginning. Remember the new kid in sixth grade? He didn't have a chance did he?

4. If your funds are limited then you can spend them on the most important things in the tank: healthy, quality Discus from a reputable breeder. This is the ONLY way to start in this hobby IMO.

Learn to keep your Discus alive and healthy then start to plan your dream tank. You'll be very glad you did. You don't want your first Discus experience to be a negative one.

hth!
-Ryan

Howie_W
10-23-2004, 08:51 AM
Hi Seth,

Glad to have you back. :)

Your decisions should be based upon your longterm goals. If you are planning on buying juveniles, and growing them out, it will be easiest to do so in a bare bottom tank.

You definitely want to go with a larger group all at once...Ryan covered the reasons for this perfectly. Going with a smaller number in your 30 gallon will lead to problems.

If starting out for the first time, I recommend going bare bottom, and then begin planning out your planted tank while you grow out and gain experience with your new fish.

HTH

Howie

Willie
10-23-2004, 03:41 PM
If your heart is set on a planted, go only with adult discus. Equally important, get them from the same source to avoid separate quarantine. If you want juveniles, then get used to a barebottom look.

Willie

Ardan
10-23-2004, 06:42 PM
Welcome Back!! 8) :)

SSrowr
10-24-2004, 11:06 PM
Alright, thank you all for the replies thus far.

"4. If your funds are limited then you can spend them on the most important things in the tank: healthy, quality Discus from a reputable breeder. This is the ONLY way to start in this hobby IMO. "
^^ ya really got me with that one... lol i'd have to agree.

Anyway, I've been considering everything and have some additional questions.

If I were to buy 5-6 juvies is there any way I could grow them out in my 75g. and later replant it, only temporarily relocating the fish? This sounds risky at the very least to me, involving switching the fish from tank to tank and all... or do you think it's less involved than that? Is it as "simple" as adding some sand and plants? I think not.

Another option: I have a 30 g. and a 20 g. tank. If I create a sump with the 20g. and use the 30 as a main, I will have a total of 50; a good number for those 5-6 discus, no? This would leave my other tank available to set up, planted. This learning period could be as long as I need, and I figure the plan could be aborted for a BB 75 if need be in the future.
The sump idea has me thinking, even if I use it for the 75 g. in the future as well... Are the sump pumps (like for leaky basements and stuff) available at any home depot, lowes, etc. bio-friendly? In other words, will they kill my fish if they are the main pump for my tank? Would they be suitable for this purpose? Has anyone done any experimenting with the idea? I was thinking of making a sort of multi-step, muilt-chamber sump utilizing various media, possibly bio-balls, foam, whatever. This could allow for so much specialization as far as filtering is concerned because I would be in control of it's development. This would be a cost efficient and effective way to not only have a massive amount of bio filtration, but add to the volume of the system. A two birds with one stone type of deal. Consider this not only as a filter for the 75 but as I mentioned above, as a growout, in combination with to be transfered to the 75 later when the fish are older and the large tank is planted.

Again, I appreciate your time,
Seth

Howie_W
10-25-2004, 09:30 AM
Hi Seth,

I understand exactly where you're coming from and have a few things for you to consider;

A discus grow-out tank needs to be large enough to accomodate a half dozen or more juveniles. During the grow-out period, the fish are getting fed constantly, and producing large amounts of waste that foul the water quickly. It's esential that the tank remain clean...a 30 gallon, even with good filtration, is only adequate for a small period of time. A larger tank is easier to clean, and helps reduce the bio-load between cleanings.

As for your planted set-up. The proper way to do this is to have it set-up and running for many weeks before adding any expensive fish. This gives you time to make sure your water parameters are stable, filters and other equipment are running properly etc. Once you get to the point where you are ready move the fish, you can always break down the grow-out tank. Your other option is to get your planted tank set-up and when your ready buy adult Discus instead.

HTH

Howie

Anonapersona
10-25-2004, 11:20 AM
I'd give the 30 a shot with the discus. With super filtration, big water changes, careful feeding and adding the sump later on, you ought to be able to get them to 3". Meanwhile, get the planted tank up and growing for you'll want about 2 or 3 months of stability and experience before you try to mix the discus with the planted tank.

I started with a bunch of babies in a 20Long and then moved them up. I started 23pcs 1" babies in a 20Long with small sponges and 2x/day siphoning, 4x/day feeding, 50%/day water changes. At about 2" size I moved them to the 55 gallon where they had 23 fish in 50 gallons or about 2.2 gallons per fish and added a Penguin 330 with biowheels, pads, and biomedia in the baskets, and later traded the small sponges for a huge HydroV sponge. At about 3" I moved 22 fish (I killed one by accident) to the 105 gallon where they have 4.5 gallons per fish and also added a HOT 250 with biomedia inside.

I think the reason this is working for me is I have a lot of different types of filtration (580 gph plus the HydroV rated for 125 gallons), I turnoff power filters during feeding, leaving only the big sponge filter going. I feed a lot of NewLifeSpectrum pellet and beefheart that is just beef and shrimp, grated again after freezing for small bite sized bits and no flake or vegetables mixed in that foul the water. Some frozen foods but not much, more for fun than nutrition.

And I was doing 50% waterchanges daily.