PDA

View Full Version : Regenerating DI Resins

Cosmo
10-23-2004, 09:48 AM
From the little I know, it sounds pretty onerous... passing hydrochloric acid slowly thru the Anion to regenerate it... how do you slowly pass Hydrochloric acid thru anything ??? Stopped there before reading how to regen the Cation..

Anyone done this before ?? Is it as difficult as I'm thinking it wold be?

Would appreciate any feedback... as of this writing, I'm planning on throwing away and replacing. Would be nice to save the money though so long as I"m not exposing life and limb to a deadly substance lol

Thanks,
Jim

RandalB
10-24-2004, 12:19 AM
I can get mixed bed for you real cheap Jim (Like $5.00 or less per refill). But Like I've said, you don't need it in Chicago Tap water. I don't even use it for my saltwater stuff...

I get 3 PPM out of my RO unit with high pressure and 75 GPD membranes. Are you really that worried about 3PPM?

RandalB

Cosmo
10-24-2004, 11:07 AM
lol..

Hey Randal :) It's not the 3ppm that bothers me... it's the fact that something IN that 3ppm is eating up the resin - mostly the anion ...

believe me, I've tried to stop using the stuff... have probably gone several weeks on occassion without, but then a little voice in my heads starts telling me to use it again .. lol

Seriously though, I know you're right (probably :) ) but... :-\

At some point it will come down to using DI or doing w/o something else and DI will probably lose.. but in the meantime..

Next time I'm heading out your way I'll give you a call and see if you're gonna be around :)

Take care,
Jim

Cosmo
10-24-2004, 11:13 AM
Hi again Randal,

Actually, as you know, I'm running 1 75gpd and 1 100gpd so my tds out of the membranes is higher than your 3ppm. Think what I want to do next time I can get out there when your home is pickup another 75gpd to replace the 100 - this should decrease the resin usage, at which point I'll be more comfortable with just a carbon block in the final chamber..

within the next couple weeks or so hopefully..

:)

Jim

Ronald
11-09-2004, 09:18 PM
Don't know if this helps but anyway.

I used to have a large Cat../Ani.. in the late 80's. I had to regenerate them and at that time it was a real PITA. Not sure how far it all came today but I don't think it is much better. In the end it will still be a PITA and replacing it might be the better and easier way to go.

Ronald

Cosmo
11-09-2004, 11:06 PM
Ronald,

Actually heard from others via PM.. they all agree it would be a royal PITA, and probably not adviseable :)

Thanks,
Jim