PDA

View Full Version : how often to feed-and what diet to feed discus

utiliy
10-24-2004, 11:27 AM
hello all-just recently purchased a few discus-what kind of diet do they need and how often to feed them. :)

Cosmo
10-24-2004, 01:33 PM
Welcome to Simply Utiliy :)

The answer is... depends

Are they juveniles or Adults? Both require a good varied diet but juveniles should be fed frequently while adults only once or twice a day..

Some additional info on your fish and your setup would be helpful to really answer your question :) but you might want to read thru Dawna's thread as she asked a very similar question regarding juveniles

Jim

utiliy
10-24-2004, 05:10 PM
i have a 29g tank at the moment, i know small for the project-but i can take care of them for awhile with no problems-i'll addapt them to a 55g i have set up.
in the 29g i have 2 sponge filters:1=40g tank, the other=a 20g tank. i have a whisper power filter that has an intake sponge and an additional sponge in the cartridge-no charcoal media! in soft water, temp about 85. its a bare bottom tank with 4 tangerine discus about 3-3 1/2". i fed them blood worms 2 times already today with some flake food-they eat heardily.
its all new to me-i learned mostly what i read on web sites and from the guy i bought them off of.

Howie_W
10-25-2004, 09:45 AM
Hi utility and welcome to Simply! :)

Juveniles need a varied diet, and should be fed in small amounts throughout the day. You are off to a good start with the bloodworms, and flakes. Some additional foods to consider are beefheart, black worms, brine shrimp, and sinking pellets.

Please take some time to read through the food and nutrition section, as it is filled with many discussions on frequency and types of food to feed.

A few quick notes; make sure all frozen foods are thawed in warm water before feeding (easier on the stomachs), and pellet food should be soaked in water before feeding, as it expands on contact like a sponge.

HTH

Howie

utiliy
10-25-2004, 11:29 AM
many thanks howie! ;D