PDA

View Full Version : fish scared of water change

utiliy
10-25-2004, 11:23 AM
well, like i said before-discus is all new to me! heres another question: when siphoning the water out for a water change-they go hide. i have yet not got an ro unit-but the price of the soft water its pretty well on its way in a few weeks. another question i have is how i can get the water from the soft water bottle warm enough to put in the tank? can i put it in a 5 gal bucket with a heater and bubbler in overnight?

Ardan
10-25-2004, 12:43 PM
can i put it in a 5 gal bucket with a heater and bubbler in overnight
Yes you can pur the water into a bucket with a heater and airstone.

The discus should get used to wc's after a bit.

hth

RyanH
11-09-2004, 02:44 PM
Hi Utiliy,

Why are you using bottled water and what is you purpose for buying an RO unit?

Could you give some information on your water parameters?

99% of the time tap water is absolutely fine for keeping Discus. In addition, juveniles IME tend to actually do better in harder tap water. If you intend to try your hand in spawning at some point then an RO unit may be necessary. If not I wouldn't waste the money.

Finally, it has been my experience that it is not the syphoning that bother Discus so much but noise and vibrations. Try to not bang the tank around too much or tap the syphon against the glass. Even my wilds are out and swimming around now when I am changing their water. It won't take long for your fish to realize that you are not trying to kill them.

hth!

-Ryan

Cosmo
11-09-2004, 03:48 PM
also, move slowly as you approach the tank and insert the syphon tube and try to keep to slow and smooth motions. Like Ryan said, they'll get used to it after a short time.. I even have to nudge some of mine out of the way now as I syphon :)

RyanGSP
11-09-2004, 04:16 PM
My fish used to be scared but like everyone here said they get used to it. They do go and hide but now when i tap lightly on the tank (I do this before and during feeding) they stick their heads out and se whats going on.

strawman
11-10-2004, 01:21 AM
I have to actually push one tank of discus out of the way and another tank they like to peck at the tube I use to siphon the water. My 3rd tank I have to be very careful and move slowly, If one is spooked all the rest take off banging into everything. I started feeding them just before I do the water change and it seems to help alot. I still have to move slowly