PDA

View Full Version : 2 misc. adults in a small pond?

discusadmirer
11-09-2004, 11:05 PM
I am thinking of setting up a new 29 gallon tank for the purpose of admiring discus. I am not interested in breeding, but was wondering if this tank would be too small for 2 non-mated adults. I don't have room for a larger tank at this time, but I have seen that 10-15 gallons is reccommended for each adult discus. I have experience with tropical tanks and would like to know if these perhaps tight quarters would require any additional efforts other than those listed elsewhere on this site. I appreciate any advise you can give!

RyanH
11-09-2004, 11:18 PM
Welcome to Simply!

A 29 is plenty big enough for two adults, just keep up with your water changes.

I would be very leary of putting just two unpaired Discus together. You could be in for some real problems.

discusadmirer
11-10-2004, 12:50 AM
If I instead purchase say 6 smaller fish and wait for them to pair off, are there ways to inhibit breeding (slightly increasing pH, for example) or do you simply deal with the fry as they come along?
Can you get different colored fish to reliably pair off or is it best to keep all 6 the same color?
I have also seen varying opinions on keeping a single discus in a tank. I do realize that they are schooling fish, but am just curious to see if anyone has healthy single discus with perhaps other tropical tankmates.
I rather not buy discus for which I potentially have insufficient space than to make a stupid, greedy mistake in purchasing them.

Carol_Roberts
11-10-2004, 12:26 PM
A 29 will be fine for two adults - if they get along. If they do not get along one will harass the other until it quits eating and dies. Many times there are local breeders in your area that have a pair they don't need or a pair where the male does not fertilize the eggs. What part of the country are your from?

discusadmirer
11-11-2004, 06:40 AM
We live in Frederick, Maryland. Gwynnbrook farms is the only breeder I know of and their website specifically says they don't sell any mated pairs.

lkleung007
11-11-2004, 10:49 AM
Hi, I agree with Carol...you just need two adult discus that get along...preferably a male and female. The two may not produce fry but can live in harmony quite well. I have many pairs that get along well but have not produced fry...and that's just fine. You need to decide what strains you would like and see if any local hobbyist have them available...I don't live too far from you...feel free to IM with questions.

HTH, Lester