PDA

View Full Version : bamboo

Eddie
11-10-2004, 05:44 AM
I've got a few green bamboo steams that grow in water. The roots actually stem out in the water and the leaves grow out of the water on the stems. Could I put these stem in my Discus tank or should I not. They stems seem to grow in any type of water. In fact I was thinking the tank water might actually be better water for the stems.

ronrca
11-10-2004, 02:08 PM
Cool! Bamboo in a fish tank! Ive never actually seen it done before! If the bamboo grows, why not add it? Do you have pics by any chance?

Eddie
11-10-2004, 02:54 PM
Na, don't have pictures but I do have the bamboo. It basically grows anywhere where there is water and I'm assuming that it will do well in my tank. I guess your not supposed to submerge the stalk much so I just angle the stalk to let the roots grow down in the tank. I will catch a few pics if it all turns out

Polishdude
11-22-2004, 11:56 PM
Im you have any love for u bamboo stick stop!

Bampoo stick grow in shallow water if the water exceed a few intches it will start rotting at leat my 4 - 6 year old beatiful stick (according to my mom) you can give it a try mine did not work then again i have a tendency to make idiotic mistakes so maybe u will succed and teach us all something :) :angel:

Nick_Schembri
11-23-2004, 12:44 PM
The bamboo you mention is called lucky bamboo. Its actully a nick name or commercial name. They are actually stems of a terrestrial plant called dracaena sanderiana. They do best in soil but can survive for a year or two in water. The water shouldnt be deeper than 3-4".

shalu
11-23-2004, 04:02 PM
I have a few shoots of lucky bamboo in my tank(only the lower half) for over a year now, they are slow growing.

wow, when did I become a senior member :)

Eddie
11-28-2004, 06:19 AM
I actually have the bamboo laying across the top of my tank with just the bottom ends entering the water. They are growing roots super rapidly. Way more rapidly than when they were in normal water. Looks pretty good though. I'm going to lay some philos on top also, and let them root into the water. Stole the idea from carol ;)