PDA

View Full Version : Plant on Driftwood

cal
11-16-2004, 10:14 PM
Hi all

I am planning to get plant on driftwood. How would you train a plant grow on a driftwood? Would you put a wire around to keep their root to stay where you’d want it to be on the driftwood? Any idea/ suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks

jc63
11-16-2004, 10:44 PM
Hi Cal,What type of plant are you trying to attach to driftwood? I have never tryed wire before, but I have had success with rubber bands or 4lb test fishing line.I have also used a pushpin or tack to hold a plant in place.The fishing line was the least noticeable out of all the others. Once the plant takes hold you can remove whatever you secured it with.Hope that helps.

Wahter
11-16-2004, 10:57 PM
If the plants like java fern are growing well, you can use a rubber band and in about 2 weeks, they will attach themselves to the driftwood. Amano uses plastic coated twist ties and he removes them after the plants have attached.

jc63
11-16-2004, 10:58 PM
Cal, If you have more questions about plants you might get more of a response if you post your questions in the Show tanks and Biotypes section.You'll find a lot of info there about keeping discus in a planted tank.

cal
11-17-2004, 12:47 AM
Thanks for your quick responses. the plant will be anubias and java

Anonapersona
11-17-2004, 10:51 AM
I've used thread (hard to tie, but I watched how Amano did it over moss, hold one end in your mouth and wrap, then tie)

I've used plastic twist ties (I've gotten black ones at the dollar store, easy to remove later, Amano uses this for ferns, anubias)

I've used staples (got upset at the thread difficulty so I just stapled, probably not good for discus tanks)

I've used superglue (just an experiment, worked ok with java ferns, probably not for discus tanks)

I've jammed plants into crevices (java fern seemed to not like that, less flow over roots)

RyanGSP
11-17-2004, 11:12 AM
I have dont both. I find that the java fern will attatch in about 2 weeks but the anubias take longer. make sure the drift wood is realy rough so the plants have a place to attatch their roots. If the driftwood is smothe then the roots wont attatch

mutfish
11-17-2004, 12:58 PM
Java fern tied to driftwood with fishin' line....

cal
11-17-2004, 05:05 PM
That is very impressive picture, it looks so beautiful.
How would you treat a driftwood before put in the tank? so that it does not produce the yellow thing in the water.

Thanks a lot for all your input and suggestions.

Ps: I was going to ask the Admin to move me to this forum. Thanks for doing that.

mutfish
11-17-2004, 06:16 PM
Some people boil driftwood or soak it in saltwater a few days, I don't bother with either, just scrub it good or pressure wash it and have at it!
Even the pieces that stain the water will eventually clear up.....

cal
11-17-2004, 06:59 PM
Some people boil driftwood or soak it in saltwater a few days, I don't bother with either, just scrub it good or pressure wash it and have at it!
Even the pieces that stain the water will eventually clear up.....

Thanks, I'd do the same thing, can't be bother to boil them :)

Howie_W
11-18-2004, 03:07 PM
That is very impressive picture, it looks so beautiful.
How would you treat a driftwood before put in the tank? so that it does not produce the yellow thing in the water.

Hi cal,

What you are referring to are called tannins, and are naturally occuring in a number types of bark and wood, and when introduced to your tank will produce a tea-like effect on the water.

In general, you will find that Discus enjoy the introduction of tannins into the water, and it has been known to be beneficial to their digestive systems.

Before introducing driftwood into my tanks I usually give the pieces a short bath in boiling hot water, and dilute with a very minute amount of bleach. Afterwards, I wash off the wood, and repeat the process without any bleach to make sure all bleach has been removed. For added insurance I allow the wood to air dry.

Over time as you change the water, the amount of tannins released into the tank will gradually decrease, depending upon the size of the driftwood you are using.

HTH

Howie

Condor
11-18-2004, 03:33 PM
That's a really nice looking background, Mutfish. How'd you do it, if you don't mind my asking?

-Adrian

Stephish
11-18-2004, 03:34 PM
Do plants on driftwood require any special care over and above what one would normally do in an (unplanted) barebottom tank? I like the look of plants but am reluctant to get into another level of maintenance.

Condor
11-18-2004, 03:37 PM
Java Fern and Anubius take their nutrients right out of the water collumn. They don't really require much. Liquid fertilizers can be beneficial, but may cause algae problems.

cal
11-18-2004, 05:00 PM
Hi Howie

Thanks for your information, I might give it a hot bath before I introduce it to my tank.

D Jones

Regarding to the beautiful background by mutfish, I believe there is a post for how to make it by mutfish as well. That really looks stunning though.
Good luck.

Cheers

mutfish
11-18-2004, 06:08 PM
That's a really nice looking background, Mutfish. How'd you do it, if you don't mind my asking?

-Adrian

http://www.thecichlidgallery.com/article_styrobackground.htm

cal
11-25-2004, 07:49 PM
Hi all

I got some silly questions:

1. What would you do to a drifwood with plant on it before putting in the tank?
2. What would you keep an eye on after putting it in the tank? such as water parameter , light, algea etc ...

Thanks in advance

mutfish
11-26-2004, 05:33 PM
Hi all

I got some silly questions:

1. What would you do to a drifwood with plant on it before putting in the tank?
2. What would you keep an eye on after putting it in the tank? such as water parameter , light, algea etc ...

Thanks in advance

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=40313

cal
11-27-2004, 08:23 AM
Thank you I should have known this link.
Have a nice weekend

GulfCoastDiscus
11-27-2004, 05:08 PM
Here's my driftwood with Anubias and Java Ferns. I use black string or staples to attached the plants.

Dan

mutfish
11-27-2004, 05:24 PM
Very nice!

cal
11-28-2004, 07:23 AM
Thanks for sharing your pix, it is indeed awesome!!!