PDA

View Full Version : just picked up two discus from majestic

discusboy777
11-22-2004, 05:35 PM
this is a solid red snake skin. It shows 14 bars (depending on mood) it is about 2-2.5" feel free for any comments.

discusboy777
11-22-2004, 05:36 PM

discusboy777
11-22-2004, 05:39 PM

discusboy777
11-22-2004, 05:41 PM
this is a new variety from majestic it is about1.5-2" this discus is still adjusting to its new home.

discusboy777
11-22-2004, 05:43 PM
the name of the discus is golden turq.

reptar15
11-22-2004, 09:51 PM
sorry bout some of ur fish appear stunted =(

JasonBR
11-22-2004, 09:54 PM
Yes they are stunted.

Jason

discusboy777
11-22-2004, 11:04 PM
just wondering what makes you think that. the stlightely larger eyes on the golden turq. it was raised in a 20g.

discusboy777
11-22-2004, 11:07 PM
sorry but if you are judging bruce at majestics stock look on aquabid he is the king of discus. I picked them up three days ago.

Brad

discusboy777
11-22-2004, 11:33 PM
what i meant to say was just becuse a discus was raised in a small tank doesent mean it is lesser quelity than one raised in larger tank (a discus in a 20g tank might reach 4.5- 5" and look stunted or runted whill one in a 60g tank could reach 6"+) it would look just as good as far as color goes and its offspring can grow to an average size. the fish are now in a large 55g tank so i should get good growth like me other discus.

Brad

Carol_Roberts
11-23-2004, 01:47 AM
what i meant to say was just becuse a discus was raised in a small tank doesent mean it is lesser quelity than one raised in larger tank (a discus in a 20g tank might reach 4.5- 5" and look stunted or runted whill one in a 60g tank could reach 6"+) it would look just as good as far as color goes and its offspring can grow to an average size. the fish are now in a large 55g tank so i should get good growth like me other discus.

BradActually juvenile fish have a narrow window of opportunity for growth. IF they miss the chance to grow as youngsters they will not catch up later. The eyes grow at a fairly steady rate. IF the fish does not have enough food and a clean enviornment the body stops growing. Thats why stunted discus have large eyes in proportion to the body.

The size of the tank is not the issue. Top breeders will crowd their juveniles for better growth, BUT the water is changed several times a day and they are fed heavily.

Walmart may sell lots of shoes, but that doesn't mean they have the best quality shoes ;)

Giniel
11-23-2004, 01:57 AM
Hi,
I have also gotten discus from bruce and about half of them (probably due to bad shipping on airplane) have become stunted to a point.For the most part good care and a lot of water changes can help. The half that I say are stunted of mine are only about 3" and the rest of the are touching 5" to 6" now after 6 months.I will post pics of mine later .
As far as the looks color wise your fish are very pretty. Do a lot of water changes and they might have a chance to get better some of mine did.
Debbie

RandalB
11-23-2004, 03:40 AM
Watching this post REAL closely.

Discusboy,
Maybe if you posted some more pictures with better definition we'd see what you see. They appear kinda blurry to me.

Everyone,
I know he did ask for any comments but let's keep them within board policy please. Otherwise this post will be locked.

Thanks,
RandalB

DREW
11-23-2004, 09:16 AM
Pic 1 doesn't look stunted to me and it looks like it has a nice shape and color

Pic 2 the eye seems a little large for the body

mench
11-23-2004, 09:18 AM
Ok did I miss something here???? Did Discus boy not ask for comments on his fish or not????? If you can't make a comment without fear of having it locked or deleted..Why bother saying anything...Let me see if I have this right....if I post a question about breeding and board members tell me I am wrong in what I am doing,I will kill fish etc,etc,then the mods can lock the thread???
So what is the point in posting anything??????
I can see overseeing the boards if there is profanity (sp),slandering someone,etc,but if someone asks for your opinion and you can't give it,well I think we are going a tad too far.
I don't think many people will see this post but Al feel free to send me an e-mail and we can talk about my feelings on what is happening to this forum.And of course this is just a nobodys opinion.And again in my opinion,the last pic,the fish does appear to be stunted.

Mench

henryD
11-23-2004, 10:23 AM
Mench,

I don't think we are saying we are going to lock the thread. It is just a friendly reminder to keep things civil and for the criticism to be constructive.

Given the history and everyone strong opinion of the importer in question, we thought we would be a little proactive.

Brad ask for opinions and people are expressing theirs. In fact, I think Carol did it very eloquently and passed on some great information.

Henry

Tony_S
11-23-2004, 10:37 AM
I can see overseeing the boards if there is profanity (sp),slandering someone,etcThats what they're trying to avoid Mench....you dont recall when :lipsrseal(complying with board policy) from :lipsrseal(complying with board policy) was a member of this board?? He was SERIOUSLY KICKED AROUND For being a COMPLETE :lipsrseal (COMPLYING WITH BOARD POLICY) HEAD!! The mods who were around at that time are probably a bit nervous when someone mentions that name:rolleyes:

And again in my opinion,the last pic,the fish does appear to be stunted yup...it does! And....its not a "new strain" Its a plain old Turk.Its just a game that:lipsrseal (complying with board policy) plays....making up funny names to sell fish.

Tony

Mike_T
11-23-2004, 10:48 AM
So what is the point in posting anything??????
I can see overseeing the boards if there is profanity (sp),slandering someone,etc,but if someone asks for your opinion and you can't give it,well I think we are going a tad too far.

i suspect because he asked for opinions on his fish, not for others' experience with majestic. while the person who volunteered their experience was only trying to help, it was probably something that should been done with pm or email. but those are individual judgement calls. here's my opinion on the fish:

if majestic charged you more than a couple bucks for those fish, shame on them.

-miket

mench
11-23-2004, 11:10 AM
All some one has to do is do a search in the archives for Majestic and they can read all about them,if all the old posts are still around.I agree with the policy,it just seems latley that ya can't say anything with out a reminder or a locked therad.
Ok enough said...we can drop the topic

Mench

FischAutoTechGarten
11-23-2004, 11:58 AM
They are stunted. I concur with everyone else.

discusboy777
11-23-2004, 01:43 PM
yes i did ask for every ones opinion and im sorry if i came across rude i didnot mean to and i thank every one for pointing that out and for the advice. i do daily water changes so i think i can bring them back up to size. the discus in pick is also from majestic and growing very fast. hes or she is me faverit

JasonBR
11-23-2004, 02:07 PM
Discusboy777,

I wish these message boards were available to me when I first started out keeping Discus...There is a BUNCH of useful information on here that will help you exceed and grow in your hobby...Not only help you, but save you headaches and lots of money being wasted...I wasn't trying to slam you, just pointing out bad quality Discus...You should take the opinions you received on here and use them as helpful info.

That person who sold you those Discus is a straight up crook!

Take a look at some of the other photos from that seller(photo enhanced eyes, bad shape, stunted growth, etc...)

Jason

discusboy777
11-23-2004, 02:48 PM
wher can i find these photos just on aquabid. And i agree with you ther is a lot of info here @ simply i have learned a load of stuff and i thank every one here very much. And i thank you guys for pointing evey thing out to me

thanks
Brad

mench
11-23-2004, 05:44 PM
Brad we on the board are NOT slaming you at all..It is important for newer discus folks to understant what to look for when buying fish...the most important thing in selecting fish is question,question,questions...research before you buy...again ask questions and discuspeople will send ya e-mails...I hope you are lucky and those fish turn out ok...the last pic of the one you like looks a lil stunder also and a bit to muvh peppering for my taste,but as long as you are happy,thats all that counts
Where are you located???? I wish there were more new discus people around my neck of the woods cuz I know myself and my discus buds are always ready to get newbies started with some really nice fish.
Again good luck and keep us informed as to your progress..just saw you are in Calif.....lots of discus people in Calif

Mench

discusboy777
11-23-2004, 05:52 PM
thanks mench. i know every ones just trying to help. i was thinking of trying jeff from discusfarm since i can pick up from him. i am nuevo CA thats near river side

RyanH
11-23-2004, 07:06 PM
One of the toughest things for Discus people to learn is to buy fish with their head and not their emotions. When you are looking at a tank full of fish and you are all excited and intent on buying, it's easy to justify imperfections, to not take the time to notice them, or to accept a line of bull$&!* as to why they look the way they do. It's happened to pretty much everyone at one time or another. Hell, it happened to me last summer.

Frankly, it can be really hard to walk away. We try really hard here to help people in distinguishing between a quality fish and junk.

By empowering people and helping them become educated consumers, fewer people will be taken for rides. This is good for us as individuals and for the hobby as a whole.

discusboy777
11-23-2004, 07:24 PM
i got them off aquabid so i didnot have a choice they where bagged before i got ther so i could not pick them out this time. i know my supplyer vary well he alwas says if a discus turns how i dont want it (shape, color, size,) i can bring it back and trade it. thanks for the advice every one all be a lot more carfull when selecting fish.

thanks
Brad

jaydaman
11-23-2004, 08:34 PM
hi all, this is a touchy subject since the supplier's name was mentioned with the pic asking for comments, on the other hand, if the pics were of high quality discus there wouldn't have been a problem in the first place. the reason people on this board were so quick to point out the flaws in the fish brad bought is mainly because they don't like to see people getting overcharged for poor quality fish. we're not bashing you brad, just looking out for your best interest. the fish in the pics you posted look stunted. the one you said was your favorite doesn't appear to have very good shape either. if those fish make you happy, great. we just want you to be aware. just my 2 cents, jason

jaydaman
11-23-2004, 08:42 PM
i wanted to add that i think the red snake looks much better than the others.

discusboy777
11-23-2004, 09:10 PM
thanks jay and i thank you all for pointing every thing out to me. I got them for 10$ each

aggie_67
11-23-2004, 10:41 PM
He did ask for opinions!!!!!

mench
11-23-2004, 10:55 PM
Brad,for sure go see Jeff,he is a super guy and has great fish...ya can't go wrong

Mench

DISCUS USA
11-24-2004, 01:35 AM
Hi Brad,, ya for sure go see Jeff,,u are very lucky to be able pick out your own discus from on of the top importers in the biz.

discusboy777
11-24-2004, 04:14 PM
i will post more pics of the same discus in a month or two. To see if they are up to size.

thanks
Brad