PDA

View Full Version : new discus

Eddie
11-23-2004, 08:35 AM
My discus are super timid. They are brand new and I know the pet store wasn't changing water like I am. How long will it take for these new guys to come around. There cool when I'm not around but when I approach the tank they hide where ever possible?

RyanH
11-23-2004, 11:36 AM
It'll take some time but after feeding them a few times they'll quickly come to associate you with food. It won't be long before you are their best friend. :)

Eddie
11-23-2004, 12:38 PM
Thanx Ryan,
I feed them and it's tough for them to eat in front of me. I usually have to leave the room and peek on them to watch them eat anything. :(

jimmyjoe
11-23-2004, 03:38 PM
How many do you have in your tank??????????????????? Sometimes if that number is low it won't matter how long you have them. Discus feel safer in numbers or the presence of other fish. I have 8 discus in a little 30 gal. tank, they are only about an 1" maybe bigger and they still bug out when I approach the tank for feeding. I've had them now in QT for the last 3 weeks, I'm sure that once they become young adults maybe when they're around 2" inches or more they'll come around. Good luck Bass. Jim

Stephish
11-23-2004, 04:49 PM
They should get more used to you soon. I've had my juveniles for almost 2 months - they're always bugging me for food, but they still don't like water changes much (I try to avoid sudden movements).

Howie_W
11-23-2004, 09:52 PM
I feed them and it's tough for them to eat in front of me. I usually have to leave the room and peek on them to watch them eat anything. :(

They'll come around before you know it. Try staying in the room when you feed them...especially during their first feeding in the morning when they are the most hungry. Feed them and just sit down in front of the tank...let them get use to you. Once they get use to your presence (especially during water changes) they will become more and more use to you. I always feed my fish after a water change...and it's obvious they know what's coming long before I'm done! :)

Howie

aggie_67
11-23-2004, 10:15 PM
Don't feel like you are necessarilly doing anything wrong. Yes if you have something wrong it will make them jumpy, but IMO some discus are just always nervous. I have 6 tanks with about 40 discus. All are doing well except for my 5 Blue Brillants. Have changed tanks, etc but they still hide when ever I look at them. I can (and do) sit at eye level in front of their tank, and they will come out. Even then it seems like they bully one into coming out before they all do. But then it's back to hiding behind the sponge filter.

Eddie
11-24-2004, 03:58 AM
Aggie,
Thats sounds super familiar. I've got 5 blues and they are always hiding behind the sponge filter. How odd????

Terrybo
11-25-2004, 12:29 AM
A lot of people are very quiet around new discus so they won't disturb them. It seems to me that this would appear to the discus that the person is sneaking up on them like a predator. I always talk to my discus as I approach their tank. They come swimming to the front of the aquarium when they hear my voice.

Terry

GulfCoastDiscus
11-25-2004, 12:46 AM
I bang around the tanks all the time specially during a water change. They're so use to it that I have to chased them away from the siphoning tube. I don't baby my discus too much because if you do you'll have problems when it comes to breeding.

dan

Eddie
11-25-2004, 02:13 PM
good info. I think my discus are just getting aclimated to there new tank. The tank from the pet store is like night and day compared to my tank. The biggest difference is the total size. This pet stores tank is extremely overcrowded and my tank has plenty of room. They will be happier, I'm sure of it. Especially the water conditions. I'm changing the water regularly. The fish will get used to it. Thanks

Cosmo
11-25-2004, 02:21 PM
I talk to my fish too :) My wife gets a real kick out of telling everyone about it too :D

GulfCoastDiscus
11-25-2004, 02:33 PM
I talk to my fish too :) My wife gets a real kick out of telling everyone about it too :D
I sing to mine.:D

dan