PDA

View Full Version : Hello, new to simply

DiscusNoob
11-25-2004, 04:28 AM
hi, the names Allan and I live in Chicago...any locals here? :)

Im slowly getting my supplies ready so i can raise discus, this site has been quite informative, thank u.

Ill be getting my hands on a AGA 72gallon bow front aquarium with stand and strip light. Aquaclear filter, and 200watt heater will come with the tank as well. Ill also be adding a sponge filter, and pieces of driftwood.

I just bought a 32 gallon rubbermaid container to store, age, and condition the tap water we have here in chicago. Of course the heating and aeration will be done in here as well. Will be throwing in some SeaChem Prime into the water.

I have an Eheim Prof II canister as well.

I haven't tested our local waters for PH, hardness, and nitrates yet. Not sure what they are...i know the PH is over 7. (Can any locals fill me in?)

I want to buy my discus once the whole tank is cycled, and i want to buy them from a reputable source here in Chicago. Im looking to get 6-7 juveniles.

Looking forward to meeting everyone on simplydiscus. :D

Ardan
11-25-2004, 08:02 AM
Hi and welcome!

Sounds like you have been doing your homework and have most of the essentials.

I know RandalB is in the Chicago area and may be able to give you some good pointers. Send him an IM.

Also look at the site sponsor list in the "Breeder Section".
Welcome
Ardan

Cosmo
11-25-2004, 12:15 PM
Hey Allan... in Chicago here too :) Welcome to Simply :)

Butch (chewal6) is local and sells by appt. only - has some nice fish at good prices. Chris @ WindyCityDiscus is somewhat local (close suburb) but have never yet bought from him.. Cary of Great Lakes Discus is in Detroit and he has some great fish.. short distance so little to no stress when the fish come in overnite delivery... have received some beautiful juveniles from Cary :)

Chicago water is good Discus water :) Depending where you live there may or may not be chloramines, so you would need to check w/ your local water district... sounds like you've got a good plan but remember aging won't dissipate chloramines so the Prime is a good idea.

Last time I tested my tap water it was ph 6.5 w/ a tds of about 156... didn't age it though so I don't know what the parameters are after it ages... currently using only RO/DI water which RandalB always gives me a hard time about (even though he sells RO units .. lol) since Chicago water is so good. As I'm adding tanks though I'm running out of RO capacity so city water is just around the corner for me too..

Unfortunately, don't know of any LFS's in the area that you should trust so I'm buying my fish now exclusively from the breeders here at Simply..

Butch and I both live a few miles off the Kennedy at Irving Park Road in opposite directioins.... you close ? Randal lives in the south Boonies (Burbank I think) :D He doesn't sell fish at this point but does have good prices on supplies and frozen foods - he is a great guy and a great source of knowledge and information too.

Always good to have another addict in the neighborhood :D

Jim

DiscusNoob
11-25-2004, 02:41 PM
thnx for the warm welcome. Im located around the skokie/lincolnwood area. Ive tried to raise discus when i was like 13years old, but due to my experience i wasnt that successful. 10 years have past...now i think im ready to take up this hobby again. :thumbsup:

Tad
11-25-2004, 11:25 PM
Allan,
Welcome aboard :) , Lots fo helpful people here, so take advantage :D

Regards,
Tad

DiscusNoob
11-27-2004, 08:23 PM
hello me again. After i aged/heated/aerated my water for a day in the 32 gallon container, and treating it with stuff to get rid of chlorine, detoxify chloramines I began to test the parameters. Tell me what u guys think, and if its ok for discus.

PH= 7.5-7.8
GH= 10
KH= 8
NO2- = <0.3mg/l
NO3- = 0
NH3/NH+4 (Ammonia)= 0