PDA

View Full Version : Filter Options

PaintballFan07
11-25-2004, 12:03 PM
Hi, I currently have a 72g bf tank with 3 discus but will hold 8 by christmas. I have 1 AC 500 in there along with a sponge filter. I want to add a Eheim canister but im not sure which one i should get. Should i buy the Eheim Pro 2 2028 or the Eheim wet/dry filter. I want to order it by the end of today so i hope you can help me decide on which filter is the best and y i should choose it (quality, less maintenance, etc). thanx, happy thanksgiving

Cosmo
11-25-2004, 12:37 PM
Paintball..

Do you want to have the inlet line of the filter bulkheaded into the back of the tanks, or are you going over the top? If bulkheading is important, you can't get the eheim wet/dry cause it will only work with over the top plumbing.

I have eheim classic cannisters and an 2229 wet/dry.. since the w/d alternately drains and fills you get better gas exchange than you would with a normal cannister, also, grow a wider variety of bacteria which is good. The output changes as the can empties/fills so you have periods of little output followed by very strong output... my fish don't seem to mind at all. You can plug the breather line and turn it into a normal eheim pro too if you ever wanted to. Very little maintenance since there is no filter pad, only media. I'd suggest you always use the prefilters too even though the'll tell you you only need them the first 8 weeks or so.
ALL the hoses have to be the same length for the system to work as it uses water pressure to trigger the empty/fill cycle so it's a little less flexible in configurationing (is that a word?)

The Eheim Pro's are much easier to clean than the classics, but you still have the course and fine filter pads so there is some more maintenance, which should be done monthly at the most (eheim tells you longer, but not with Discus you don't). Because of the pads in the pro, the w/d actually holds more bio media.

Either are good, but would suggest you also pickup the Eheim installation Kits 1 & 2 so you don't have to use the ugly green syphon and spraybar tubes with EHEIM in big white block letters :)

Jim

PaintballFan07
11-25-2004, 12:58 PM
Paintball..

Do you want to have the inlet line of the filter bulkheaded into the back of the tanks, or are you going over the top? If bulkheading is important, you can't get the eheim wet/dry cause it will only work with over the top plumbing.

I have eheim classic cannisters and an 2029 (I think that's the number) wet/dry.. since the w/d alternately drains and fills you get better gas exchange than you would with a normal cannister, also, grow a wider variety of bacteria which is good. The output changes as the can empties/fills so you have periods of little output followed by very strong output... my fish don't seem to mind at all. You can plug the breather line and turn it into a normal eheim pro too if you ever wanted to. Very little maintenance since there is no filter pad, only media. I'd suggest you always use the prefilters too even though the'll tell you you only need them the first 8 weeks or so.
ALL the hoses have to be the same length for the system to work as it uses water pressure to trigger the empty/fill cycle so it's a little less flexible in configurationing (is that a word?)

The Eheim Pro's are much easier to clean than the classics, but you still have the course and fine filter pads so there is some more maintenance, which should be done monthly at the most (eheim tells you longer, but not with Discus you don't). Because of the pads in the pro, the w/d actually holds more bio media.

Either are good, but would suggest you also pickup the Eheim installation Kits 1 & 2 so you don't have to use the ugly green syphon and spraybar tubes with EHEIM in big white block letters :)

Jim
Thanx for the quick reply Cosmo. I am going over the top of my tank, Wat are bulkheads? I am probably gonna buy the wet/dry but which ever one i am gonna buy i will also buy the prefilter module for it. N about the installation kits i will try to get those cuz im a lil short on money right now. thanks for the reply

Cosmo
11-25-2004, 02:08 PM
you're in luck. One prefilter comes with it... I've bought a couple boxes of 2 replacement ones, then I clean the used ones in fish net cleaner and rotate them.. they simply fit over the end of the intake syphon.. nothing else to buy

Mustang65
11-25-2004, 02:28 PM
Hi

I went to the same question few month ago, the WET/Dry is my favorite but I decided to go with a canister filter (over the top) here is my story

Why?
the first question I did have to solve was: deciding to drill a bulkheaded into the bottom of the tanks for the wet/dry, call my laisy but but the fact in need to move all my fish into another tank, empty the tank set the hole without leaks
at this point is was easy to decide between what I wiash and what I can do; so it will be canister over the over type

Next? choosing one cannisters
after reading in this forums and online, it comes back to two major filters:
- 404 Fluval
- Eheim classic cannisters 2029 or 2028 what ever you like
(I bought a cover copy of the Eheim 2029 for $70 with media - supposelly better performance for cheaper and it look like an Eheim)

Price?
on ebay the all goes arround $100 so I guess if you want a eheim you know the price + the price of the media + Shipping.

So far I love my Canister filter system, it's installed in the stand of my 72 Bow front Tank and really quite.

Good luck with you choice

PaintballFan07
11-25-2004, 10:38 PM
you're in luck. One prefilter comes with it... I've bought a couple boxes of 2 replacement ones, then I clean the used ones in fish net cleaner and rotate them.. they simply fit over the end of the intake syphon.. nothing else to buy
So a prefilter already comes with the wet/dry? thats not good i just ordered a Eheim prefilter module.

PaintballFan07
11-25-2004, 10:40 PM
Hi

I went to the same question few month ago, the WET/Dry is my favorite but I decided to go with a canister filter (over the top) here is my story

Why?
the first question I did have to solve was: deciding to drill a bulkheaded into the bottom of the tanks for the wet/dry, call my laisy but but the fact in need to move all my fish into another tank, empty the tank set the hole without leaks
at this point is was easy to decide between what I wiash and what I can do; so it will be canister over the over type

Next? choosing one cannisters
after reading in this forums and online, it comes back to two major filters:
- 404 Fluval
- Eheim classic cannisters 2029 or 2028 what ever you like
(I bought a cover copy of the Eheim 2029 for $70 with media - supposelly better performance for cheaper and it look like an Eheim)

Price?
on ebay the all goes arround $100 so I guess if you want a eheim you know the price + the price of the media + Shipping.

So far I love my Canister filter system, it's installed in the stand of my 72 Bow front Tank and really quite.

Good luck with you choice
thanx, I chose the wet/dry n i also have a 72g bf. I dont have bulk heads so it will be going over the top of my tank.

JeffreyRichard
11-26-2004, 09:55 AM
Hi

You don't need to drill your tank to use a wet/dry ... you can build or buy an overflow unit ... any Reef Specialty shop or even the large mail order places have them.

Willie
11-26-2004, 12:14 PM
Hi, I currently have a 72g bf tank with 3 discus but will hold 8 by christmas.

I hope you have made plans to quarantine the new discus. That's going to be a much bigger concern than filtration.

Willie

PaintballFan07
11-26-2004, 09:54 PM
I hope you have made plans to quarantine the new discus. That's going to be a much bigger concern than filtration.

Willie
Im not sure right now. still thinking