PDA

View Full Version : PH test kits

GrillMaster
11-26-2004, 12:18 PM
:confused: When I first setup the tank, I ran right out to my LFS an bought a ph test kit. It had the test sollution, and the ph up an ph down. I never use the ph up or down though.

Then I started readin an readin on Simply an figured that I better go an get a master test kit. :D

Heres the problem...The solution on the the ph kit I got has a yelowish,brown color to it, and the ph solution in the master test kit I got has a nice blue color to it. Of course they both give completly different readings. A difference of .4.....They are from the same manufacturer, an get this.....The same lot #

Would I be wrong in asumming that the blue color from the master test kit is the right one to be using, an just toss the ph kit I originally bought? Maybe bring em both back to the LFS an :argue: ;)

ShinShin
11-26-2004, 06:50 PM
Reagents outdate and go bad giving false values. Most aquarium test kits do not have outdates on them. It is best to buy such kits from a high volume source to ensure your kits are relatively new. I have seen meds on some LFS shelves that had been outdated for 2 years, so it's no stretch to say it is possible for test kits to be outdated and still on the shelf for sale.

ShinShin
11-26-2004, 06:51 PM
p.s.

Buy a pH meter. It's worth the cash and your discus will love you for it.

Cosmo
11-26-2004, 09:13 PM
Shin Shin beat me to it... get yourself a digital meter cause reagent kits are too unpredictable. Hanna makes a real nice self calibrating one you can buy at drsfostersmith.com, or, contact RandalB first cause he can get em too, probably for less..

you'll also need calibration solutions (4.01 and 7.01) , storage solution, and, cleaning solution..

Jim

GrillMaster
11-27-2004, 10:39 AM
Thanx guys....I will definately get the digital one... :o