PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with condensation

tony1313
11-28-2004, 12:30 AM
Just wondering the best way to eliminate or deal with the condensation from the cold water pipes of my drip system(dripping all over the place). I thought about wrapping them with pipe insulation but thought it would just absorb what it could and then drip anyway. Has anyone found a solution to this?

TIA,
Tony

Ardan
11-28-2004, 07:38 AM
Insulation keeps the moist air from reaching the cold pipes and thus no condensation.

I use a dehumidifier in my fishroom, otherwise the humidity gets too high in the house. (its humid in Wisconsin most of the year anyway)

hth
Ardan

jeep
11-28-2004, 01:01 PM
Reduce the humidity level and it should take care of it. Get a dehumidifier ;)

PaintballFan07
11-28-2004, 01:51 PM
Hi, You could try heating the pipes. At home depot they sell something that u could wrap around ur pipes and u just plug it into a outlet and there is a thermostat on it also i believe. I installed it on Drain lines in Walk-in-coolers at restaurants to keep the pipes from freezing and eventually cracking causing big leaks. I will get more info for u from my dad. But u wrap this heating element type thing around the pipe n wrap the pipe insulation over it. I think with the pipes heated u wont have condensation. Send me a pm if u want more info on this product.

tony1313
11-28-2004, 08:46 PM
Thanks for all the replies. With the weather getting colder in Michigan the cold water supply (pipes) are also getting colder and with the constant flow of the drip system they stay somewhat cold in my house. I also have a gas forced air furnace to heat my house so I don't believe humidity is a problem. I'm pretty sure it's just the warm air in the house and the cold pipes causing the condensation.

PaintballFan07 thanks for the tip but I already have a thermostatic mixing valve hooked up (cold & hot water in and 82 degree water out), it is the cold water feed line into this valve that is dripping. The cost to try and warm the cold water would be way too high.

Ardan, I think I will try the insulation. The worst that can happen is I'll have to take it back off.

Tony

limige
11-28-2004, 10:36 PM
Insulation keeps the moist air from reaching the cold pipes and thus no condensation.

I use a dehumidifier in my fishroom, otherwise the humidity gets too high in the house. (its humid in Wisconsin most of the year anyway)

hth
Ardan

well that was my thoughts....

hey tony, lookie what i saw today, they're fertile and about to hatch!!!

tony1313
11-28-2004, 10:58 PM
wtg Mike! Between the angles and discus your gonna be a busy man.

limige
11-28-2004, 11:22 PM
didn't mean to steal your thread though, so last one