PDA

View Full Version : Emperor Filters

Nora
11-29-2004, 06:23 PM
I have a Filstar Xp3 running on my 125g tank now..I was told by this guy John at Jehmco that I will need more filtration and since my tank will be a show tank..I decided to not go with sponge filtration.I have 2 Emperor Filters( the big ones) with biocellpore inserts plus the biowheel on it..I've always ran carbonless filtration when it came to fishkeeping..Is the Emperor a good addition to my discus tank?..I heard something regarding nitrates going into the tank..but I think that is if you use carbon, which I do not..Please advise..and Thanks :)

SmellsFishy0
11-29-2004, 07:50 PM
i have a couple emperors and there ok filters .....after the fact i got an aqua clear and use 2 sponges in it instead of the cardon bag and i like it so much more that the emperors.......but there still good filters in my opinion...just a aqua clear fan now-----AndyM

JasonBR
11-29-2004, 08:52 PM
Nora,
I think they are good filters in my opinion also...I have used the Emperor 400 with great results, never any problems with water or Discus...My fish were always healthy...If you are doing regular water changes, there should be no problems.

Jason

Nora
11-29-2004, 10:29 PM
Thanks guys..I did not want to have to buy new filters when I already had the Emperors.I will add them to my tanks

Cosmo
11-29-2004, 11:22 PM
Nora,

I used the 400 for years in a 55, w/o the bio pore media and had great results.. just put a 280 on my 30gal w/ the bio pore and think the inserts should give the filter a huge increase in bio capacity. Only problem I had with the 400 was after a few years the motor started making noise..

Jim