PDA

View Full Version : Discus Gangs ??

Cosmo
11-29-2004, 11:25 PM
Hi All :wave:

I have a 180 that for the past 6 months or so has housed 11 Discus, mostly between 5 and 7 inches.. just noticed the other day there seems to be two distinct schools in the tank, with a straggler that tends to defend the middle.. except for feeding time, and occassional forays into the other side, the fish from each school pretty much stay on their "own" side of the tank........ anyone else ever notice anything like this or have I not been getting enough sleep ???

Jim

JasonBR
11-30-2004, 11:55 AM
Darn Gangsters

Hey Cosmo, do you have photos of your 180?...Would love to see that!

Jason

Bud Reuffer
11-30-2004, 02:45 PM
I had a similar experience. Blue Diamonds stayed at one end of the tank, Turquoise stayed at the other. Except for one of the Turquoise that spent most of his time in the middle, occasionally hanging out with the B.D.'s. The B.D.'s spawned at their end and the Turquoise at their's.

Cosmo
11-30-2004, 03:48 PM
Jason,

Haven't been able to get a good pic of the tank cause we've been having trouble with our digital camera... came out all bleary or too dark. Sits in a difficult area partially under a stairwell and it being so big I haven't been able to get back far enough. Am in the process of degravellizing it (going BB) and will try again with a new camera soon and post..

Bud.. I have RT's spawning on one end, and a Snowflake and Deep Red Marlboro at the other... a potential pair hangs out with the RT's and the BD is the guy in the middle ???

Jim

kaceyo
11-30-2004, 08:09 PM
Hey Jim,
I've heard of some strains hanging with there own, but that takes it a bit further. Ya gotta be careful. If they start wearing there gang colors like the "Bloods"(pigeon, MR's etc.) and Crips (cobalts, BD's etc.) you might have a war on your hands!
It'll be interesting to see if they remain seperate groups for a long period of time, and how well defined the teritories are kept/defended. Keep us posted.
Kacey

Cosmo
11-30-2004, 09:22 PM
problem is, all this graffiti is starting to appear on the tank walls!!! caught the RSG wearing a bandana the yesterday too, so I installed a metal detector around the tank and plan on un-announced searches to confiscate any weapons :D

kaceyo
11-30-2004, 10:49 PM
Yeah, good idea,
I've heard they sit behind the sponge filters selling "laced" TetraBits to the juvies. You try and raise'em right, keep'em in the best H20...

discusnutz
12-01-2004, 02:13 AM
LOL.....you guys sooooo silly......thanks for the giggles!!!

Brenda:D

GrillMaster
12-01-2004, 09:39 PM
Hey Cosmo....Just go out an purchase yerself a couple a cops...With whatever strain ya like..They'll keep em in line for ya.... ;)

Cosmo
12-03-2004, 02:51 PM
Bastalker... whatdathink... blue knights make the best cops ?? :D

GrillMaster
12-04-2004, 11:06 PM
Hey Jim....No guns though, jus Knight sticks... :D