PDA

View Full Version : Disinfecting storage containers

maestro
11-30-2004, 01:13 PM
Ive bought a storage container for ro water but its a little dirty.

I want to disinfect it before i start using it but dont know how? dont think bleach or anythign is a good idea

Also how often do i have to repeat this?

DarkDiscus
11-30-2004, 01:57 PM
I'd add 10% bleach solution and slosh it around. Rinse thoroughly then empty and allow it to dry for a day or so. To be on the safe side you can fill it and add a dechlorinator, then empty and you should be all set.

I've done this many times and never had a problem.

John

bio new
12-01-2004, 03:25 AM
Give some PP treatment. I do it to all my used tanks. I just simply add the PP to some water and leave them overnite. As long as the mixture has dark purple color, its ok to me. Then give a good scrub and wash and rinse. Complete sterilisation, then presto, your tank is ready and you can used it with much confidence!

CHEERS!

maestro
12-01-2004, 09:58 AM
Im new to this board and dont know what PP is, sorry

The problem it that the tank (i have 2 *25 litre) only has a small screw cap opening so i cant get my hand in to fully scrub the inside.

Theres no dirt or anything on the inside its was just a little dirty on the outside but want to make sure its safe

DarkDiscus
12-01-2004, 11:00 AM
Add the 10% bleach solution and then cap the container and shake it, allowing all of the inside to come into contact with the solution. Then follow the other steps.

It's pretty easy.

PP is potassium pemanganate. It's another option but then you have to go and buy the PP. With bleach you likely have some in the house already.

John

RyanH
12-01-2004, 11:43 AM
The advantages of cleaning with bleach is that it's easily accessible and it evaporates so even if your containers are not rinsed thoroughly, they're safe to use in a day or so. It can also be neutralized with water conditioner. IMO that is the best way to go.

maestro
12-01-2004, 12:33 PM
Cool thanks, for your help