PDA

View Full Version : Does RO Rite do a good job of stabilizing the PH?

DREW
11-30-2004, 04:09 PM
I've had problems with my PH fluctuating when I did mixture of tap water and r/o water. Ph would 7.0 then fall to 5.0 over a weeks time even during light feedings. So then I went with plain aged tap water and the pair spawned on me. My water is very very hard so now I want to switch them back to r/o water to get the eggs to hatch and wanted to know if ro rite does a good job of stabilizing the water?

Thanks

Drew

Larry Grenier
11-30-2004, 04:20 PM
If it were me I'd wait and see how the eggs do. Yes, hard water may limit the hatch rate but first see how it goes. I've had several babies hatch and grow-out in pre-filtered but not RO water. Also, if you can watch and see if the new parents eat the eggs which is common; so you don't assume it's the water. If all the eggs remain and turn white (fungus of death) then it could be the water or an immature male or too-much water flow near the spawning site or lesbians (not kidding) ...

DREW
11-30-2004, 04:28 PM
The male is just under two years and the female is young. I just received her from Cary and she decided to do the deed. She only layed about 80 eggs and about 30% turned white. They haven't eaten any and its been since Sunday. They don't fan the eggs very much like I would expect not sure if this is a typical discus trait or not.

Larry Grenier
11-30-2004, 04:41 PM
I would say it's not typical. Mine fanned the eggs alot. 2nd opinions please

Carol_Roberts
11-30-2004, 06:15 PM
Sounds like they are young and inexperienced. They should take turns fanning the eggs. If your water is below GH 9 you should get eggs to hatch. You can mix a percentaage of your tap water with the RO to stabilize the pH. Aim for a GH between 3 - 6.

Cosmo
11-30-2004, 09:26 PM
Drew,

RO Right is for adding GH, not really designed for (don't think) or very good at stabilizing PH... product that's great for that is Kent PH Stable. Been using it for over a year and never had a crash since... does add to you tds and will tend to increase the ph as well though. I add RO Right, Ph Stable, and Discus Essentials (all Kent products) to my RO and it works out great..
Jim

Moon
12-01-2004, 10:20 PM
I tried RO right did not do a good job. Now I have a box filter in my storage barrel with crushed oyster shells in it. This adds the required elements to stabilise the Ph.