PDA

View Full Version : OZONE GENERATORS ??? 03

VOYTEK
11-30-2004, 10:57 PM
HI

I'm wondering if anyone of you guys use that as a filtration for our discus :) or in any type of tank ...

pros, cons, does it realy do "great" job ???

Thanks, and hope to see some replies :)

BYE BYE

voytek

Frankr409
12-01-2004, 10:25 AM
HI

I'm wondering if anyone of you guys use that as a filtration for our discus :) or in any type of tank ...

pros, cons, does it realy do "great" job ???

Thanks, and hope to see some replies :)

BYE BYE

voytek

I am interested in what folks have to say about this also. I compared Ozone generator systems http://www.redseafish.com/Product.asp?dir=y&catID=92&subID=43&proID=170

to Various UV sterilizers. I ultimately bought a UV system, because it appeared to be "safer". The feeling I got after reading about the Ozone system was that if the O3 made it into the tank it would extremely harmful to the fish since ozone is such a power oxidizer when it finally yields the extra Oxygen atom. It also seemed very expensive, but perhaps in the long run it would have been cheaper than replacing UV bulbs every 6 months or so.

I cannot imagine a more efficient way of sterilizing water though.

Sindhu
12-02-2004, 02:18 AM
Been trying a unit which was on loan for sometime now and just happened to pack it up to return to retailer today.

Can't really tell if it works as I only use it for an hour a day on my sick Discus as I was afraid to overdose as it will affect the gills. After a google search there was a link to a site that mentioned about some huge pond in Europe that uses a huge Ozone generator to keep it clear.

RandalB
12-02-2004, 02:27 AM
I was trying out ozone on my Saltwater tank (until it dissolved the guts of my needle valve!). It definately made for better water clairity and lower nitrate levels, but it does require some specialized equipment. You need to treat the water with carbon to catch the leftover o3 or it can hurt fish. You also need specialized airline tubing, valves, etc as O3 is corrosive to a lot of plastics.

You can get a decent Ozone generator from Ebay for about $45.00. A company from China makes them and delivers them to the USA for about $17.00 shipping! The unit definately performs as advertised for cheap.

I've never treated discus with ozone, it seems to me that it wouldn't do much more than a regular W/C routine....

HTH,
RandalB