PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Fish Yellow Fish ..where are you?

brewmaster15
12-01-2004, 11:50 PM
Hi all,
Just curious, does anyone have any Adult Yellow Fish they can post pics of? Not looking for orange yellow, PB base yellows etc. Really want to see if anyone has truelly yellow adults, as in canary yellow, salt water yellow tang yellows.

If you have any please post their pics and what strain they are, and share what you feed as well as what your water parameters are..

Thanks,
al

zoids
12-02-2004, 12:01 AM
Al,

I think it's gonna be a very hard one to find. I feed all my fishes with jbl bits so no matter what a yellow fish will turn out to be slight orangy.

Yellow fishes from my experience must be kept in a tank of their own and fed food with no coloring at all.

Roy

brewmaster15
12-02-2004, 12:10 AM
HI Roy,
Thats what I was thinking as well. By no coloring though, I think alot only look at The color red ... I think theres a lot of foods though that contribute to red pigments as well.

Can anyone suggest a diet that is absent Red? From what i can tell in my research, even spirulina contributes to Red pigments so a commercial diet is probably out.

I'm beginning to wonder if the only way to get a truelly yellow fish is suppliment it with enough yellow pigments to over come small amounts of red in a controlled diet.

-al

Elcid
12-02-2004, 12:29 AM
Just mix turmuric with ur beefheart :), may work!

take care,
Sandeep

spsboy
12-02-2004, 12:48 AM
http://www.aquaforums.com/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=1060

not sure if this is what your looking for, but its about as yellow as i've seen

DiscusNoob
12-02-2004, 01:13 AM
http://www.aquaforums.com/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=1060

not sure if this is what your looking for, but its about as yellow as i've seen

thats an awesome fish!! where can i get a few of those?

RandalB
12-02-2004, 02:20 AM
Here you go Al; a little on the beaky side but nice shape.....

LOL

zoids
12-02-2004, 02:24 AM
Al,

Any commercial food that looks red in color is definately out. I would think just feeding pure BH would do the trick. Another way is to use carophyll yellow or what they feed yellow canary to get the yellow feathers.

But at the end of the day nothing beats the color of the yellow tang.

DiscusNoob
12-02-2004, 02:38 AM
hahaa, very funny. Lol, i have one of those tangs in my saltwater tank.

DREW
12-02-2004, 09:11 AM
I just picked up a nice adult golden from Cary. It has a nice yellow color and the bright red eye really stands out against the yellow body. Price was good too.

GulfCoastDiscus
12-02-2004, 09:32 AM
Hi all,
Just curious, does anyone have any Adult Yellow Fish they can post pics of? Not looking for orange yellow, PB base yellows etc. Really want to see if anyone has truelly yellow adults, as in canary yellow, salt water yellow tang yellows.

If you have any please post their pics and what strain they are, and share what you feed as well as what your water parameters are..

Thanks,
alHi Al,
I got these recently from Cary. They are produced by Roy(Zoids)

Dan

JimmyL
12-02-2004, 09:59 AM
Just mix turmuric with ur beefheart :), may work!

take care,
Sandeep
It has a bitter taste and fish don't like them. Add Licorice to take away the bitter taste. a mild lexative as well. Worms don't like it. It is used in most of the Chinese dried fruit products and stain the skin of chicken into yellow.
Jimmy

DREW
12-02-2004, 10:44 AM
Hi Al,
I got these recently from Cary. They are produced by Roy(Zoids)

Dan

Hi Dan,
What does Roy call those?

Drew

GulfCoastDiscus
12-02-2004, 11:06 AM
Roys calls them Golden Melon. If I can recall he say they do have PB in them and backcross three generation to Goldens.

dan

kaceyo
12-02-2004, 11:17 AM
Hi Al,
I got some of Danny's Yellow Crystals from his first sale and have been going through the same search. I've been slowly eliminating possible sources of red as I found almost every brand and type of prepaired food has red enhancers, even the green "vegie" foods.(I didn' know about spirulina so there goes another one.) Are you sure pure spirulina enhances red/orange? I went to pure spirolina thinking that would HELP! Even Hikari Frzn BW's has added red. Now I feed BH, pure Spiro., O.N.#2 (weening off to spiro), Hikari Freeze Dried TBFX. Only the yellows get TBFX to add some variety as BW's and Tetra bits are out. They are only slightly more orange tinted now but I wonder if I could eliminate that by removing both O.N.#2 and spirulina? I would like to keep some vegie in the diet though.
Keep e posted on your results.
Thanx,
Kacey

GulfCoastDiscus
12-02-2004, 11:25 AM
Here's my yellow Pigeon. It get more orange if I feed tetrabits and krill. Also keeping the lights on makes them lighter.

dan

brewmaster15
12-02-2004, 11:46 AM
Hi Kacey,
Unfortunately Spirulina is loaded with Color orange (roughly 50% of the pigments it contains are the orange beta carotines) and red pigments. The green color is misleading...

take a read here... Theres a great Percentage chart...

http://www.spirulinasource.com/earthfoodch2c.html

hth,
al

jaydoc
12-02-2004, 04:36 PM
kaceyo,

Can we see pics?
How orange are they?
Cary

kaceyo
12-02-2004, 04:53 PM
Well...crappola!!!LOL. Here I thought I'd removed a source of red/orange (O.N.#2) and I was actually replacing it with food even higher in Beta-Carotenes. I'd been told Spiro would enhance blue but no one mentioned full spectrum enhancing. Thats what I get for asking questions but not researching the answeres.
Thanks Al. Now I'm hoping they'll turn back to their original yellow when I stop feeding spirolina. Are there any good sources of vegies that don't have ANY added or natural non-yellow color enhancers?

Thanx,
kacey

kaceyo
12-02-2004, 05:12 PM
Cary,
They are really not orange at all. Only headed slightly in that direction when compaired to their original color. I sent my pictures, in the form of a memory card, with my daughter a couple of weeks ago and she was supposed to post them for me. She is having trouble (obviously) with compatibility so...? If you saw them you'd see yellow fish, not orange, but they are still young so time will tell.

Kacey

Ardan
12-02-2004, 07:38 PM
Well, I had some of these, bred and raised by Cary.
When I get caught up on some things I will get some more.
these are golden Yellows (originally from Roy) but Cary has at least one pair and raises them .
Here is a pic of Carys pair (posted with out his permission :D ;) ) (he had it posted here already and I saved it from the old board, if he wants to get me, he knows where I am ;) )

they are beautiful and one of my favorite discus! :)

kaceyo
12-02-2004, 07:47 PM
Well...either he (or Simply) DID mind or something else went wrong, cuz I don't see no pics...? But I would LOVE to see'em.

Kacey

Ardan
12-02-2004, 07:50 PM
the pic is uploaded and I see it, give it a second to load.

Is it there? Do you see other pics? (if not then you may have a setting wrong)

korbi_doc
12-02-2004, 08:10 PM
Ardan, those are really pretty & verrry yellow. The pic won't enlarge, but one can see the good color in the small pic. I'll try to upload mine if I can find out how to get it from the camera, but they are not that clear a yellow. lol Dottie

jaydoc
12-02-2004, 08:16 PM
I also only see one picture from Ardan. Are there more? How do I fix it?

kaceyo
12-02-2004, 08:19 PM
Thats too wierd. I still don't see anything but I have no problem seeing pics in the photo section. Whats up with that? All I see is a little blank off white square. Probably my cheap "web TV" setup. I'll keep trying.

Well I just went to the photo section and saw "Troyclarks" recent pics so I don't know why I can't see this one. Probably cuz I REALLY wanted to see some pics of parent fish that produce clean yellow offspring. Go figure!

12-02-2004, 09:01 PM
Oh man! I love the color of those guys, look really clean too.(zoids)

zoids
12-02-2004, 11:11 PM
ardan,

Those yellows are looking good :). I love them very much too.

susankay1
12-03-2004, 12:09 AM
Well, I had some of these, bred and raised by Cary.
When I get caught up on some things I will get some more.
these are golden Yellows (originally from Roy) but Cary has at least one pair and raises them .
Here is a pic of Carys pair (posted with out his permission :D ;) ) (he had it posted here already and I saved it from the old board, if he wants to get me, he knows where I am ;) )

they are beautiful and one of my favorite discus! :)

I have a pair of those too Ardan. Not sure that he is fertile though. Need to call Cary and get another male.

Jason
12-03-2004, 05:15 PM
Here's one of my gold melons from THE KING of SING!
was fed lots of bh and prawn with naturose and tons of JBL bits from 2" in size, the fins and dorsal area have turned very orange in real life though the yellow parts of the fish are a very bright vibrant yellow.

GulfCoastDiscus
12-03-2004, 05:22 PM
Nice shape Jason. "King of Sing" (Roy?):)

dan

Jason
12-03-2004, 05:27 PM
Nice shape Jason. "King of Sing" (Roy?):)

dan

yup ;)

Ardan
12-03-2004, 10:43 PM
I found a pic from last Feb of some yellow discus I had. at the time I had had them 2 months.
the mostly yellow ones were fry from Cary at Gld from his Golden Yellows (some were very yellow and clean)

the ones with some orange were Golden Melons from Roy (Zoids) through Cary.

the other ones were Blue Snakeskin from Roy through Cary.

:) :) :)
Ardan