PDA

View Full Version : rubbermaid

Eddie
12-02-2004, 09:01 AM
I'm using a 31 gallon rubbermaid container and it is brand new. I filled that baby up and it looks like it's about to explode. Anyone else using these types? Also, has anyone experienced these things actually giving in and breaking. It's not a pretty sight. A little worried. Might just have to go for 2. :(

DREW
12-02-2004, 09:06 AM
I'm using three of those trash cans. Never had any problems. For 8.00 a can it's not a bad deal.

Drew

DarkDiscus
12-02-2004, 09:34 AM
I used 3 rubbermaid storage bins for water changes before I bought a commercial grade storage bin and every one of them eventually sprung a leak. It usually takes some time, but one lasted only a month.

If the sides bow out significantly, I'm willing to wager that yours will eventually leak as well. You want to make sure you have a strong unit to save future worries.

John

PS. I got my storage bin from Jehmco and it was great. 60 gallons and very durable.

korbi_doc
12-02-2004, 01:25 PM
I've been using the 32g rubbermaid tubs with wheels for the last 3 yrs!! There is a slight fold down at the wheel area, but never leaks. I do place the handle of the tubs against the tank tables for support, THEY DO NOT STAND ALONE!! I've been tempted to replace'm but since they are no trouble, haven't done it. Even dented one (slightly) with the heater but still going.. & I have 2 terrific 50g barrels that'll replace'm someday when I move, but, since these look better in the LR, continue with these. JMO, Dottie

kaceyo
12-02-2004, 08:03 PM
I think the 32gal Rubbermaid Roughneck "Refuse Container" is the way to go for that size container. I used the same one for over two years to mix and store my saltwater with no problems. I wouldn't doubt many people have used them much longer. Anybody ever had one of those babies split or leak on ya?

Kacey

12-02-2004, 09:05 PM
I've been using the 32 gal. Rubbermaids, ones without wheels for almost a year and they seem to be fine. I don't fill them to the brim though.

Eddie
12-03-2004, 03:21 AM
Thanks all. Looking to maybe get something INDUSTRIAL!! :D

SantaFeDiscus
12-03-2004, 05:37 AM
My view is trash cans suck for water containers! It pays to do it right the first time and set things up with barrels for water containers or else you will always be putting off that day to change out the bent and decrepid trash cans for commercial grade barrels. Just my 2 penneys.
Fred

Russ
12-05-2004, 03:00 AM
Hi,
I too have 2 32 gal rubbermaid commercial gargage cans for 2 years now, no problems. I noticed eveyone has 30 - 32 gal cans. I am planning on adding an additional can and was wondering if anyone has used the 44 gal commercial Rubbermaid cans.

strawman
12-05-2004, 04:53 AM
I've been using 6 - 32 gls for over a year with no problems at all. For the price they can't be beat

DISCUS USA
12-08-2004, 11:27 AM
I use rubbermaid trash cans too..no trouble so far,,my oldest rubbermaid is almost 2 years old..no problems so far..

Ronald
12-08-2004, 01:17 PM
I also have used the 32gal's and 2 got a leak. I then changed to the 44gal which are thicker and am happy since. I still use 1 32 as overflow container and that one seems to hold. As mentioned before I think it has to do with not filling it completely. But that's just a guess from me.

Ronald

ed8t
12-09-2004, 01:37 PM
I use a rubbermaid brute trash can. It's part of their commerical division. Holds 32 gallons and I fill to the 30 gallon mark with no problems. I even bought the wheeled dolly so I can push it around with no problems of it tipping over.

rushmorediscus
12-09-2004, 02:23 PM
Basshead,
I wrote a thread on this at simplycichlids.com if you or anyone would like to check it out. http://www.simplycichlids.com/forum/index.php?board=19;action=display;threadid=398

Be careful with what you use, or you may come home to a wet floor one day--I have a time or two.

Cosmo
12-09-2004, 02:43 PM
If you use the lightweight 32 gal cans and want to fill them to 30gal +, you should put the lid in place - it helps maintain the integrity of the side walls. The Hvy Duty 44 gal, which is considerabley more money.. no problems. I too have Jehmco bought tanks now and they are great.. 65 gal though, not 60 ?

Jim

Ax
12-09-2004, 03:39 PM
Just for other options; I went to Michaels food and got a 45Gl barrels for $15 each, it’s white barrels used for pickling. Works great and don’t cost as much (came with the lids). :D