PDA

View Full Version : Tis the season for spawning?

Tad
12-02-2004, 03:10 PM
I dont know about others but I notice that this time of the year in North America, my fish all start spawning and pairing up. Is it because of the winter season :confused: , changes in the barometer or is it just my luck. This happens every year for me :D Whats everyone else experiencing?

regards,
Tad

RyanH
12-02-2004, 03:21 PM
You could be on to something there Tad. I also notice more spawning activity as winter hits.

jaydoc
12-02-2004, 04:34 PM
I am no expert, but my adult community tank has looked like a prom night. for the last 3 days. Who knows
Cary

RedestWing
12-02-2004, 06:37 PM
I'm gonna make my Discus read this thread. Maybe they will get the hint!!! ;)

SHAWN WARDLE
12-02-2004, 06:45 PM
I NOTICE FROM DEC/FEB ALOT MORE ACTIVITY

AADiscus
12-02-2004, 10:08 PM
I must agree with your observation. Mucho activity in our house. Fish are doing well also LOL.
AA

limige
12-04-2004, 02:40 PM
yeah definitely,

it's also the best time of the year to try and get wilds to spawn!! but overall it seems to affect all discus... not sure exactly why..i've got fry on some turks i've raised, it's their 2nd spawn and first felitilized one. currently attached for 4 days now!

good luck all, do your daily wc's!!

April
12-04-2004, 08:47 PM
yeppers mine always breed the most and best at this time of year. soon as the rain or a cold front comes in. of course..they have to wait till im so busy at work.last week we had a big storm almost snow come in..and 3 pairs laid. or pairs who were under the assumption they wanted children..
im in the process of hunting down some mail order grooms.. : )

darcy
12-06-2004, 11:44 PM
Same here. We had a cold front come in on Saturday and it was crazy in the basement. Fish pickin partners,pairs laying. It was cool to watch!! Then again my Red Turqs spawn no matter what time of year it is,gotta like that.

Darcy

Pick
12-07-2004, 09:59 PM
Yep,

My pair have been ignoring each other for 9 months. I had not done a water change in a week and a half and the next thing I new it was cool outside and I had a hundred wigglers.

TC

Tad
12-07-2004, 10:52 PM
Storm front going through California tonite, and Snakeskin pair sitting on approximately 200 new eggs :D

Tad ;)

RickMay1
12-08-2004, 02:17 PM
several differn't things that make winter the best time for me. I think the one that makes the most diffrence is that I'm home more, so the tanks are geting more attention. another thing that effects my fish is during the winter the hardness of our local water supply softens, during the summer the water hardness is around 225ppm during the winter its around 75-95 ppm. the third thing that happens is more low pressure systems, for longer periods.