PDA

View Full Version : Question on Medications/ should I treat

KD
12-04-2004, 10:43 AM
Anyone ever use Parasite Clear (Praziquantel,6-difluorobenzamide, metronidazole,acriflavine are ingredients. Or Melafix- Melaleuca CAS#8008-98-8 1 %. I found these in Walmart. Are they safe for Discus or Bio Filter?

Reason I ask one of my Discus nares (sensory glands - or whatever you call them) seem a little larger than my others.
All water parameters are safe - I do have hard water- The Discus is a red leapord and is a brown based fish- Do they just seem bigger on Brown based fish? The Leapords I have are a bit more choosey in eating- I wonder if they are lacking a vitamin???

I have a 90 gallon that is BB - Cleaned every day- 45% 10 Fish - Clean sponges once or twice a week two Aquaclear 500's cleaned every three to four weeks- No carbon. Temp is 86F. Feed Beefheart and ONF 1 ( Just my blues and Violets like the ONF 1-) before water change, treat of Bloodworms or Brine Shrimp, ONF Flakes 1 & 2, CBW's. I only feed what they eat - never leave any waste. Should I add a vitamin - I hear that Hole in the Head can be casued by not enough vitamins - What do you suggest?

Should I treat with Medications- or try to supplement with vitamins first.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!
Karen

Carol_Roberts
12-04-2004, 09:51 PM
Hi Karen:
I've used it and it works really good for external parasites and copepods. I don't know if it will help with your problem or not - try it and see.

I would also cut out the frozen ONF1 and brine for awhile - both are really messy and the little bits are overlooked by larger discus.

KD
12-05-2004, 10:51 AM
Hi Carol,
Which should I try- the Parasite clear or the Meafix? Can I treat my whole tank and are they safe for Bio filter?
Thanks!!!
Karen

Carol_Roberts
12-05-2004, 03:04 PM
I would try the parasite clear and treat the whole tank. It shouldn't affect the bio too much

KD
12-07-2004, 08:37 AM
Hello Carol,
I did a treatment yesterday morning. How long should I wait to do a water change and how much do you suggest?
Thanks again!
Karen

Carol_Roberts
12-07-2004, 05:54 PM
I do regular daily water changes. I don't remember how often I added the parasite clear . . . waht does box say to do? I think it was every other day? I use it like fluke tabs or formalin type meds.

KD
12-07-2004, 07:16 PM
Hi Carol,
I beleive it says you can do a second dose after 48 hours and 25% change - I did a 50% change this morning. DO you think I should dose again? After another 50% change?
Thanks!!

Carol_Roberts
12-07-2004, 07:22 PM
I would do it like this . .
Monday do a 50% water change and add the parasite clear
Tuesday do a 50% WC
Wednesday do a 50% WC and add Parasite Clear

The directions are geared to the average freshwater hobbyists who only does 20 - 25% weekly water changes . . .

KD
12-07-2004, 10:58 PM
Sounds like I am taking that road so far- I'll add it again tomorrow after my water change.
THANKS - YOUR THE BEST!!
Karen

KD
12-17-2004, 09:10 PM
Sounds like I am taking that road so far- I'll add it again tomorrow after my water change.
THANKS - YOUR THE BEST!!
Karen
Hi Carol,
Done with treatments and time has passed and the nares are the same. I think it is just more evident in this particular fish. I am glad I treated to settle my mind - It didn't seem to do any harm either.
Thanks for your wonderful assistance as always!
HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!
Karen
P.S. You should post some recent pics of your beauties!