PDA

View Full Version : Newer tank and Trying something new

Marco164
12-04-2004, 05:30 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm new...been lurkin and reading for a while and see well informed people and would love to hear from there experience here!

So i have set up a tank(been running for over 5 weeks now) and i've had discus before and usually have had problems from day one with Discus...Tried bare bottem...Tried planted and everything...always seemed to get a disease or not eat and die! So i stopped for a year now....and am getting back into it. I Ordered 7 Discus now from Great lakes Discus as his fish just look totally awesome and i thought i'd give this the breeder route for once as i havent had much luck with Lfs's....I have a pic too of the tank and was wondering how much would ppl do on water changes? I'm using R/O mixed with tap that makes my PH in my tank a 6.5-7....and My Nitrite is 0.1 and my GH is 3 i believe and its a 75 gallon tank. So wondering with how many times would ppl do water changes here? Not just how many can i get away with just doing. I want to know THE BEST I can do.

Thanks,
Marco

Howie_W
12-04-2004, 09:08 PM
Hi Marco,

Thanks for joining Simply and welcome! :wave:

I'm sorry to hear you've had problems in the past, but we can certainly help with that.

Your choice of picking fish from a reputable source is one of the best decisions you could have made...especially buying from Cary as both he and his fish are as high a quality as you will find.

What type of fish did you buy from Cary?...I'm assuming they are juveniles, but correct me if I'm wrong. When starting out with juveniles, my first choice would be to go with a bare bottom set-up. The reason for this is it's much easier to deal with when doing large daily water changes. You also don't need to be mixing R/O with your tap...Discus need stable clean water conditions, and higher PH is not a problem.

If you are set on leaving your set-up as is, you will still have best results growing out juveniles with daily water changes. It's important that the gravel is properly vacuumed, and that you make sure the glass, and all your equipment stay clean. If your tank is fully cycled, ammonia and nitrates should all be zero.

Feel free to ask questions, and hope this helps!

Howie

aggie_67
12-05-2004, 01:18 PM
Since you say you have always had problems in the past with Discus, I would start with bare bottom!!! Definately much easier to clean and observe eatting habits, etc. Then as you gain experience add plants (potted) then gravel if you want.

You come to SimplyDiscus for advise? Then note all the people recommending BB.

Carol_Roberts
12-05-2004, 02:20 PM
Simple is best in the beginning. Here is how I grow out juveniles
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=28937

Marco164
12-05-2004, 03:06 PM
Now one question to it tho....Wont taking the sand out even siphoning it out as a water change screw up the balance if i took the sand out and then just put them in pots?...Or should i slowly take it out every water change later?

Carol_Roberts
12-05-2004, 03:09 PM
Easiest way is to remove sand with each water change. Start your siphon amd remove the gravel tube (under water) from your siphon hose and siphon the sand out the door.

Tony_S
12-05-2004, 08:35 PM
Hey Marco...

Seriously...listen to everyone here. GET RID OF THE SAND! Its doom waiting to happen with young discus! Your decision to go with Cary's fish was a good one...start out on the right foot. As Carol always says...simple is the BEST way to go. Plain tap water...and LOTS of it! You can use your ro/tap mix...but you need to keep it STABLE for EVERY SINGLE WATERCHANGE! Tap water is just plain SIMPLER. Easier for the novice...less room for error. Your ro/tap mix just isnt nessecary (except in rare occations).

As for quantity of water changed everyday...I personally wouldnt do less than 50% a day for juvinials...depending on the situation maybe 120-150% a day. It all depends on stocking level of the tank...whats being fed...and filtration capacity. Lots of variables...but those types of decisions come with experience.

I can tell you one thing....People new to discus do best...and are happiest when they see and experience RESULTS...FAST RESULTS!!
the key to that...
1. Start with excellent stock
2. Bare bottom tank
3. Good quality food
4. LOTS OF WATER CHANGES!!
5. Avoid breaking quaranteen rules!!

You'll be amazed by the results you get!

Tony

SantaFeDiscus
12-05-2004, 10:07 PM
Marco-
I completely agree with everyone else here you have everthing in your favor but the sand. Ditch the sand:)
Fred

Marco164
12-06-2004, 12:52 AM
Hi Everyone, Thankyou for the input, I've done some initial Changes(Potted the few plants in there) and the rest of the sand will be pulled with water change! Thankyou!

I'll try keeping it simple now only thing i have is the glare off the bottom of the tank any problems with it any suggestions on how i can minimize it other than not having the strong light on... i can't really paint it now is there anything ppl have put down or is it ok as is?

RyanH
12-06-2004, 12:59 AM
I think you'll be fine. All of my tanks are BB right now and I have seen no ill affect on my fish in terms of glare. Most even have a piece of styrofoam under them that is white which makes the bottom even brighter.

drew22to375
12-13-2004, 07:48 PM
Hi Everyone, Thankyou for the input, I've done some initial Changes(Potted the few plants in there) and the rest of the sand will be pulled with water change! Thankyou!

I'll try keeping it simple now only thing i have is the glare off the bottom of the tank any problems with it any suggestions on how i can minimize it other than not having the strong light on... i can't really paint it now is there anything ppl have put down or is it ok as is?
I spray painted my bottom (on the outside) after it was set up. I used that decorative flecstone paint. I just taped up the inside of the stand really good.

Drew..