PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP

VOYTEK
12-04-2004, 08:54 PM
HI

I didn't know where should I write my question so I went here :)

I'm about to drill my tank but I'm affraid to destroy it and I don't have very good experience with glass.

I know that there is something on drilling glass in DIY part but when I'm clicking on it it it doesn't "transfer" me to that page - it transfers me to the home page of simplydiscus.

Thank you and waititng for your reply,

ps. I'm about to drill a 125 gal tank, I think I should do it in two places :)

Carol_Roberts
12-04-2004, 09:24 PM
I don't know anything about drilling tanks. I hope you posted this in the DYI section too.

Howie_W
12-05-2004, 01:20 AM
Hi Voytek,

This should get you started;

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=36537

HTH

Howie

drew22to375
12-07-2004, 08:11 PM
check out the reef fourms. especially Reef central. I remember quite a few topics on the subject there with detailed pics and instructions on how to drill a tank..

Drew..

JeffreyRichard
12-08-2004, 02:54 PM
OK ... I've drilled over 100 tanks for my former hatchery ... it's not difficult. HOWEVER, you ABSOLUTELY need the proper tools

1) SPECIAL Drill Press ... a LFS owner friend of mine leant me his ... this is a drill press with legs that allow the drill to pass below the bottom of the legs into the glass. This will not work with an ordinary drill press. You need to be able to control the force you drill into the glass ... a hand drill will not allow you this control (plus it will move all around). You may get lucky with a hand drill, but I wouldn't risk it.

2) Diamond Bit ... necessary to drill through glass.

You'll need to use a lubricant (antifreeze works well) to keep the spot wet while you work ... this is done with a circular dam that you pour the lub into.

If you do NOT have access to these tools, find someone to do this for you. Many LFS, particularly reef specialty shops, will do this for $10-$20.

The alternative to drilling is to use an overflow unit ... can be built (see any of the reef sites for DIY instructions) or purchased at reef specialty shops.

Jeff

VOYTEK
12-09-2004, 02:07 PM
Thank you ALL, Thanks Jeff

I want to drill it because an overflow that I made ... doesn't make me sleep well ... and having a "hole" in a tank seems to be much much more simple.

I'll ask one petshop if they do drill the tank.

Once again thank you ppl :)

voytek

Cosmo
12-09-2004, 03:50 PM
Voytek..

You definately do need a diamond tipped hole cutter - bought mine from John at Jehmco.com. You can drill successfully without a drill press however (though I would have preferred to use one if I had one) and there are several methods..

Dan at GulfCoastDiscus recommended to me start the cut with the bit at an angle, then straightening it out once you get a groove started to keep the bit from walking.. (you can find pics of this method on DAAH)

Not trusting myself that way, I cut two pieces of 1/2in plywood the size of the tank wall (I drilled the short side). In one of the pieces, I a 1/18th inch hole (same size as the diamond tipped cutter - I was drilling for 1/2in bulkheads), then, cut a "V" shaped channel from the round hole to the end of one side of the board to help water runoff. Using plastic vice grip type clamps, I clamped the wood to both sides of the glass and ran a 1/2in hose from the faucet ending just at the edge of the hole in the wood. Using only the weight of the drill itself, I started cutting the glass using a slow speed, and, stopped 4 or 5 times during to allow the cold water to dissipate any heat buildup in the glass. Using this method, I was able to drill 4 tanks w/o any damage.

There was a thread with both Dan's method, and one I put up showing how I did it but that may have been before the forum changed and the pics were lost. If you want, PM me and I'll send you the pics for reference..

Jim