PDA

View Full Version : filtration

DiscusNoob
12-04-2004, 10:25 PM
Is it necessary that i need a sponge filter? Alot of the beginners ive noticed are using sponge filters to keep their tanks free of ammonia and nitrites. Is my Aquaclear 500 with extra foam pad, and Eheim Pro enough?...will be doing water changes every other day of course ;)

Carol_Roberts
12-04-2004, 10:29 PM
Waht size is your tank? I use an Aqua clear 500 by itself on a 55 gallon tank (two sponges inside and a prefilter to trap debris on the water intake).

DiscusNoob
12-04-2004, 10:32 PM
well i dont have it yet, but i have my eyes on a 72 gallon bowfront aquarium. My Aquaclear 500 will have a prefilter on the intake as well :)

Howie_W
12-05-2004, 01:10 AM
It always a good idea to have an extra filter running...especially in case of emergencies. If there's one thing I've found to be true in terms of fish keeping it's that it always good to be prepared. :)

Howie

Cosmo
12-09-2004, 03:53 PM
both Howie and Carol are right :) Your Eheim pro (which one?) and AC should be sufficient for the task at hand... having an extra foam filter comes in handy if you need to start a new tank (already cycled), or, if you have a power outage since airpumps use much less battery power than do the Eheim or AC..

Jim