PDA

View Full Version : first discus!

wolfbane
12-05-2004, 12:23 AM
Hi, I'm new to Simply, love this site, most informative, sometimes humorous, always good. I decided a few years ago that I wanted discus, so began reading up on them. Sure are alot of opinions on what is proper discus culture.

I have juvies in a 29 gal bare bottom tank, power filter with a prefilter sponge, aireation, feeding beefheart mix. Thanks to Gulf Coast Discus, I'm off to a great start. My husband thinks I'm a little nuts, I love to watch them eat, and I talk to them whenever I pass the aquarium. Can't wait for them to grow and show their colors! Can't wait to move them up to the 55 gal tank!

I have kept community tanks, and have had South American cichlids for the last 2 years, all working up to these beauties. I'm so happy with them, oh gee, am I rambling again? :D

Love the pictures of everyones tanks and fish, wish I had a digital camera. Oh well, maybe for Christmas.

Happy fishkeeping!

Terrybo
12-05-2004, 01:01 AM
What strain/color discus did you get?

Terry

RyanH
12-05-2004, 01:03 AM
Welcome to Simply! :)

It sounds like you are off to a great start. Keep us posted on your progress and feel free to post whenever you have questions. :) :) :)

-Ryan

Howie_W
12-05-2004, 01:05 AM
Hi wolfbane...welcome to Simply!

Congratulations on your new fish!...Dan has some gorgeous looking Discus...please let us know what strains you picked up, inquiring minds want to know!!!! :D

Yes...you definitely need to get a camera and take some pictures for us. Don'y hesitate to ask if you ever have any questions!

Good luck!

Howie

BTW...of course your husband is right...we're all a little nuts! ;)

Eddie
12-05-2004, 03:41 AM
another addict! :D Aren't we all!!!

Ardan
12-05-2004, 08:11 AM
Hi and welcome!

Yes we want pics! :D :D :D
Dan has some real nice discus, I am sure you will have many hours of enjoyment and "work" with them :D

have fun
Ardan

GulfCoastDiscus
12-05-2004, 12:10 PM
Penny?:)

Penny got babies from the Stendker Malboro pair and Red Dragon x Tomato Red.

dan

Ardan
12-05-2004, 12:22 PM
Nice shade of red! :)

babyjess210
12-05-2004, 01:24 PM
Wolfbane
Got some juvies from Dan also and they will double in size after 1 1/2 weeks. These are his Marboro Reds after 2 weeks of beefheart 6 times daily and 50%-80% WC daily.
Kenny

BTW Dan can you teach me about taking pics cuz these guys look 10 times better in person!!!

GulfCoastDiscus
12-05-2004, 03:12 PM
Hi Kenny,
Don't use a flash. Just the tank lighting is good. If you want to use a flash take pic at an angle so you won't have the flash reflection in the pic.

They look great.

dan

wolfbane
12-06-2004, 12:09 AM
Hi Dan, its Debbie, not Penny. You sold me a few Turqs, a few of the mixed reds, and a few of the Stendker red, and I think a couple of pigeon bloods. nice babies! How's that Kiwi doing? I fell in love with her! My Rotti boy sniffed me so hard when I got home, he nearly knocked me over! The fish are eating like piggies, they beg shamelessly when ever I pass the aquarium! One of the Turqs turns black when I am near the tank, just the one, then he changes back to bars after I leave. What's with that?

Debbie

GulfCoastDiscus
12-06-2004, 12:36 AM
Hi Debbie,
Nice to see you here. There's lots of great people on this forum.
You forgot your beefheart. I thought you'd come back. The one turning black does not feel good. Is it eating? Wait awhile to see if it snaps out of it. Otherwise cull it and I'll just give you replacement.

Give me a call to get more info and what type of meds to use.

dan

Stephish
12-06-2004, 03:03 PM
Welcome and have fun!

- another newish-bie...