PDA

View Full Version : More info on Wilds needed

PaintballFan07
12-12-2004, 01:15 AM
Hi everyone, i was just wanting to know more info on wilds. for ex.
Are they harder to keep compared to domestics?
Can be treated as domestics ( water paremters, feeding, blah blah blah)
Wat conditions are needed to keep happy healthy wilds?
Can they be kept with domestics?
Does RSG stand for REd Spotted Green?
Thank you for the help in advance

Mike_T
12-13-2004, 11:07 AM
in my experience, wilds can be kept healthy by treating them exactly like domestics. indeed RSG does stand for "red-spotted green." they can be a little more difficult to spawn successfully. i find them to be more active swimmers than domestics.

if you want to get some wilds, i recommend getting them from guys like al or alberto that post on this site. they clean them up the right way before they are sold...good luck!

-mike t

Tad
12-13-2004, 01:43 PM
PaintBallFan07,
I will give you responses to your questions based upon my own personal experience!

In my opinion they are not harder to keep compared to domestics, in reality I think they are the same or maybe even easier. For example: I Have not had as many health or fluke issues with my wilds as compared to my domestics.
I Like to keep my wilds in a PH of around 6.5 which I accomplish using an RO/Tap mix. They seem to be happier in softer water. I do have friends who keep them in straight tap with no problems (heckels however require soft water). As for feeding my wilds eat the same as my domestics including CBWs, Hikari Bloodworms, HBH better sinking bits, BH, Brine shrimp, flake etc.
I keep all of my wilds in barebottomed tanks just like domestics, new arrivals I like to put some cover items like plastic plants, flower pots etc until they get used to their new surroundings, eventually I wean them off the cover and they do just fine without. Obviously clean tanks and water changes the same for wilds as domestics. I also like to keep them in a water temp between 86f and 88f. Perferably I like to stock them at around 15 gallons per fish compared to 10 gallons for domestics. Why? "They just seem happier having more room in their captive enviorment :D "
IMO I like to keep wilds in a wilds only tank, but that isnt necessary as they can with no problem coexist with domestics. Again IMO heckels require a lower PH or softer water and would not do well with domestics kept at higher ph's.
Yup :)

JMO,
Tad

attached below is a picture of one of my wilds tanks which includes 1 domestic (center of pic) which is an Alenquer X Golden. It is paired with a Curipera.

Mike_T
12-13-2004, 03:28 PM
i agree that you will probably have more luck getting them to spawn in softer water. however, i personally have kept most types of wilds, including heckels, in tanks with adult domestic discus, in my tap water, which gets no treatment other than heat and aeration. all did fine, and even the heckels showed vibrant color and activity in the tap ph of 7.4, given regular water changes and a variety of foods(including live blackworms).

results may vary :)

-mike t

PaintballFan07
12-13-2004, 07:20 PM
in my experience, wilds can be kept healthy by treating them exactly like domestics. indeed RSG does stand for "red-spotted green." they can be a little more difficult to spawn successfully. i find them to be more active swimmers than domestics.

if you want to get some wilds, i recommend getting them from guys like al or alberto that post on this site. they clean them up the right way before they are sold...good luck!

-mike t
Thanks for the recommendation and the reply. Wilds have really caught my attention but i dont know anything about them to really start keeping them untill now. I am still new to keeping discus, I have been keeping discus for about (2 or 3 months now and fortunately havent lost 1 yet :). ) Hopefully one day I can start a new wilds only tank. thanks for the info

PaintballFan07
12-13-2004, 07:28 PM
PaintBallFan07,
I will give you responses to your questions based upon my own personal experience!

In my opinion they are not harder to keep compared to domestics, in reality I think they are the same or maybe even easier. For example: I Have not had as many health or fluke issues with my wilds as compared to my domestics.
I Like to keep my wilds in a PH of around 6.5 which I accomplish using an RO/Tap mix. They seem to be happier in softer water. I do have friends who keep them in straight tap with no problems (heckels however require soft water). As for feeding my wilds eat the same as my domestics including CBWs, Hikari Bloodworms, HBH better sinking bits, BH, Brine shrimp, flake etc.
I keep all of my wilds in barebottomed tanks just like domestics, new arrivals I like to put some cover items like plastic plants, flower pots etc until they get used to their new surroundings, eventually I wean them off the cover and they do just fine without. Obviously clean tanks and water changes the same for wilds as domestics. I also like to keep them in a water temp between 86f and 88f. Perferably I like to stock them at around 15 gallons per fish compared to 10 gallons for domestics. Why? "They just seem happier having more room in their captive enviorment :D "
IMO I like to keep wilds in a wilds only tank, but that isnt necessary as they can with no problem coexist with domestics. Again IMO heckels require a lower PH or softer water and would not do well with domestics kept at higher ph's.
Yup :)

JMO,
Tad

attached below is a picture of one of my wilds tanks which includes 1 domestic (center of pic) which is an Alenquer X Golden. It is paired with a Curipera.
Hi Tad, it seems like wilds are kept almost exactly like domestics except for the ph. Like I said to Mike I am still new to keeping discus and when i just started i acquired a ph of 6.5 by means of Discus Buffer but i have accumulated them slowly to my regular out of tap 7.2 with a gh of 3. I do not age my water because i dont need to. ph is always the same ot of tap and one the water has settled in my tank . Are wilds harder to spawn then domestics? I would like to breed discus and since i am still a newb i dont think i should try keeping and breeding wilds right now untill i can spawn domesitcs and raise grade A discus. Nice wilds!! Thanks for the help

PaintballFan07
12-13-2004, 07:32 PM
i agree that you will probably have more luck getting them to spawn in softer water. however, i personally have kept most types of wilds, including heckels, in tanks with adult domestic discus, in my tap water, which gets no treatment other than heat and aeration. all did fine, and even the heckels showed vibrant color and activity in the tap ph of 7.4, given regular water changes and a variety of foods(including live blackworms).

results may vary :)

-mike t
Hi mike, are live blackworms required for wilds. That is not on my menu for my discus. Softer water should not be an issue for me cuz i wil be purchasing a r/o when i see signs of mating? I dont think i need it now n i dont have enough $$$$ to buy one from Randal at the moment, cuz i am still working on saving for the rest of the discus to fill up my tank? Mayb I can ask Santa for extra $ this year. :) thanks again for ur help

Tad
12-13-2004, 09:02 PM
Hi Tad, it seems like wilds are kept almost exactly like domestics except for the ph. Like I said to Mike I am still new to keeping discus and when i just started i acquired a ph of 6.5 by means of Discus Buffer but i have accumulated them slowly to my regular out of tap 7.2 with a gh of 3. I do not age my water because i dont need to. ph is always the same ot of tap and one the water has settled in my tank . Are wilds harder to spawn then domestics? I would like to breed discus and since i am still a newb i dont think i should try keeping and breeding wilds right now untill i can spawn domesitcs and raise grade A discus. Nice wilds!! Thanks for the help
PaintBallFan07,
I personally prefer to keep my wilds in a lower ph, and as you can see others have had great success keeping them in higher PH's like Mike! I will be recieving a shipment of wilds from Brewmaster tomorrow and he keeps his wilds at around 7.2 . So you can see there is a pretty good range of water conditions, where people have had success.
Are wilds harder to get to spawn compared to domestics? From my experience its easier to get the wild males to spawn compared to the wild females, again this is from my own personal experience and also wonder what other wilds keepers experience :)

Best of luck Paintballfan07,
Tad

PaintballFan07
12-13-2004, 10:07 PM
PaintBallFan07,
I personally prefer to keep my wilds in a lower ph, and as you can see others have had great success keeping them in higher PH's like Mike! I will be recieving a shipment of wilds from Brewmaster tomorrow and he keeps his wilds at around 7.2 . So you can see there is a pretty good range of water conditions, where people have had success.
Are wilds harder to get to spawn compared to domestics? From my experience its easier to get the wild males to spawn compared to the wild females, again this is from my own personal experience and also wonder what other wilds keepers experience :)

Best of luck Paintballfan07,
Tad
Thanx for ur help

Cosmo
12-13-2004, 11:22 PM
Just got my Wilds from Al the Brewmaster last Saturday and they are beautiful fish :) Something about them is so much more....ummm.. Discus ??? Just magnificent!! He kept them in tap water of about 7.4 and said they did just fine... from the looks of them, he's right, they did.. :)
I had the ph about 7 to receive them figuring the bag water would be lower and it was, but I normally keep my tanks at 6.4 so I've done 2 WC's now with real soft water (tds of 100) and a ph of 6.5... they REALLY seem to like the softer more acidic water and have responded very well to it... temp at 87.4.

Had wilds many years ago and always kept the tanks at 90, hey.. they're from a very hot part of the world so the waters gotta be hot too right ??? Anyway, never a problem.. agree that they generally have fewer health problems than domestics (IME)..

PS... Al threw in an extra RSG as a Christmas present :) :)

Jim

Mike_T
12-13-2004, 11:38 PM
kewl let's see photos cosmo...

blackworms aren't necessary at all. sometimes your new wilds can take a bit to come around and eat regularly, and i've found that blackworms will really help them settle in.

with any luck you won't need an ro unit paint! wouldn't that be sweet? i'd just concentrate on raising up the ones you have for now. follow the last six points of cary's commandments (http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/breeding_genetics/spawning/inducing_spawning.shtml) and you'll be set.

Cosmo
12-13-2004, 11:48 PM
Hey Mike.. I feed CBW's regulary anyway, and you're right about them helping to get them to eat.. just starting to get their appetite back today and did pretty well on the mix of Hikari blook worms and CBW I gave them... problem with CBW's is they're addicting :D Already run an ro unit for the other tanks so no problem there... they visibly seem to appreciate the soft acidic water, they may even prefer it softer and lower ph but don't want to get crazy and have to worry about ph crashes.

This weekend I'll post some pics :)

Jim

RyanH
12-14-2004, 12:41 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing your pics Jim. :)

Mike_T
12-14-2004, 09:27 AM
Hey Mike.. I feed CBW's regulary anyway, and you're right about them helping to get them to eat.. just starting to get their appetite back today and did pretty well on the mix of Hikari blook worms and CBW I gave them... problem with CBW's is they're addicting :D Already run an ro unit for the other tanks so no problem there... they visibly seem to appreciate the soft acidic water, they may even prefer it softer and lower ph but don't want to get crazy and have to worry about ph crashes.

This weekend I'll post some pics :)

Jim

sorry jim...the rest of my post was referring to paint about the blackworms, etc...i guess i should have quoted :).
and yes mine are addicted. they always seem a little disappointed when they have to eat something else hehe.

PaintballFan07
12-14-2004, 07:05 PM
kewl let's see photos cosmo...

blackworms aren't necessary at all. sometimes your new wilds can take a bit to come around and eat regularly, and i've found that blackworms will really help them settle in.

with any luck you won't need an ro unit paint! wouldn't that be sweet? i'd just concentrate on raising up the ones you have for now. follow the last six points of cary's commandments (http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/breeding_genetics/spawning/inducing_spawning.shtml) and you'll be set. Daily w/c's is gonna be a problem cuz my parents thinks it runs up the water bill. But the rest is no problem here :) thanks for the help

PaintballFan07
12-14-2004, 07:07 PM
Just got my Wilds from Al the Brewmaster last Saturday and they are beautiful fish :) Something about them is so much more....ummm.. Discus ??? Just magnificent!! He kept them in tap water of about 7.4 and said they did just fine... from the looks of them, he's right, they did.. :)
I had the ph about 7 to receive them figuring the bag water would be lower and it was, but I normally keep my tanks at 6.4 so I've done 2 WC's now with real soft water (tds of 100) and a ph of 6.5... they REALLY seem to like the softer more acidic water and have responded very well to it... temp at 87.4.

Had wilds many years ago and always kept the tanks at 90, hey.. they're from a very hot part of the world so the waters gotta be hot too right ??? Anyway, never a problem.. agree that they generally have fewer health problems than domestics (IME)..

PS... Al threw in an extra RSG as a Christmas present :) :)

Jim
Post some pics plz!! Now i really want wilds.

PaintballFan07
12-14-2004, 07:09 PM
Is $25 any bad for 2.5" rsg, tefe green, or golden red? Im just curiuos, im still not sure what type of discus im gonna put in my tank yet.